Sign in to follow this  

All of my work is done to order, therefore I carry no 'stock' items. Hell, I don't carry any stock of any sort, except my leather, tools etc. which ain't for sale. Apparently not knowing this, a representative of the local "Friends Of The NRA" contacted me and requested, suggested, begged(?) me for a 'donation' of a holster or two for a 'live auction' for the dinner/fund raiser to be held later this summer. I explained my operation and told the rep that I'd have to make whatever I would donate, and that would force me to make a decision as to what firearm(s) I would provide holsters for and what sort of holsters they would be. In other words, I'd have to think on it and get back to the organization. After consideration over a few tall glasses of adult beverage (and maybe a few more) I decided on a holster for a Colt 1911 Govt. model and a holster for a 4 inch K-Frame Smith and Wesson wheelgun. I figured that there are probably more of these shooters around than any other models. They wanted something that would be distinctive enough to garner interest, and therefore, higher bids. Now, I don't do much in the way of 'distinctive' leatherwork, but decided on what is about my max along those lines. Here it is, for the 1911 .......havent started the wheelgun holster yet. Hopefully this one will get high enough bids to make it worthwhile for them. Dark brown Fiebing's Pro Oil dye and ostrich. On top of that, I didn't know quite what to give as a value on the damned thing, so I let them do it. Ma Kat got a little PO'd about that. Mike

002-4.jpg

Edited by katsass

Well, . . . whoever had your name, . . . had mine first. That was a couple of years ago.

That is one good looking holster, my friend, . . . but then what would we have expected from you?

May God bless,

Dwight

That is a sweet looking rig!

To 'the grumpy old man,' that rig is simply stunning. I really appreciate the simplicity of your normal work - but this is really something special without being over the top ostentatious. Kudos and I hope it makes you proud!

A thing of beauty, indeed. Nice colors. Perhaps a lawman will win it and wear it as a practical showpiece/workpiece. Great job Semper-fi Mike

Nice job! I just attended a Friends of the NRA dinner a week or two back. Did not end up with any good stuff (though I was smart enough to buy a necklace for my better half.)

I would have been ecstatic to have picked up a holster half as nice as the one you're donating!

My goodness that is a beautiful holster. I would much rather see something simple in design but with outstanding workmanship than something flashy that is poorly made.

Bronson

Wow!

Elegant blend of modern and traditional construction!

Mike,

GREAT looking holster.

Jeff

I wish my attempts at distinctive work looked as good as your not-so-much "in the way of distinctive" work.

Great looking holster.

Nooj

Very nice. Great use for the ostric leg as well. Looks perfect there.

Thank you all for the kind words ...... as said, I don't do much of this type of work, and I can see a spot or two that I wish weren't there, but I do appreciate all the comments. I'm starting the one for the K-frame this week. It'll be another, different, type of departure from my norm, hope it works out as well as this one. Thanks again. Mike

Simply awesome! You have to tell us what it brings!

Mike,

Well I'm the lucky purchaser of this great holster. My wife took a "Woman on Target" class in Victorville and the lady's involved talked her into going to the Friends of the NRA dinner in Victorville, Well I saw and liked the holster and bid and was the low and only bidder that night. The funny thing was I thought it was for a Colt SA and figured I was going to have to buy a piece to match the holster (darn a reason to buy a new gun). Well when I got home the Ruger wheel gun just fit but something was wrong and then I read this post and it all made sense. Well it seems to fit my Colt 1911 US Navy Gov issue to a tee. Now I'm going to have to talk with you about some projects for some other tools in the safe. The wife didn't like the holster at first but she says it's growing on her. Perhaps it's because everyone that has seen it tells us how cool it looks. Really I don't care her thought about it as I'm the person wearing it.

Maybe we can talk some time. We live in Loma Linda and I go into the Mojave-Victimville/Phelan/Barstow area now and again for work. Come winter I've also been known to take long walks for chukar's in that neck of the world. Ralph

Edited by asphaltrd

Katsass, that holster is a beauty. I love the yellow and brown combination and the shape. Awesome.

Congrats Asphaltrd on a fine piece of leather.

Katsass, I'm going to be doing the same thing at our local Friends of the NRA meeting in Sept. Talking with the coordinator at the last meeting though, he suggested that rather than doing an auction, they would be able to bring in a LOT more money with one of the table games they do, something where you pay $5 or $10 a shot at winning. For instance, the had a game that had three rows of shell casings lined up on a shelf, .22 (4 points), 30.06 (2 points) and 12 gauge (1 point). You pay $20 to play. You get 3 nerf gun with 6 rounds each in them, stand back at something like 12 feet.. for every point you get you get a chance at winning. The person with the highest point total gets an extra 25 tickets in the bucket for the drawing.

Of course this was for a Taurus 44 Mag tracker (~$450 - $500) and it had a lot of activity, For something like a holster I might have it $5 or $10 per game. Also, rather than making a gun specific holster, I am going to bring a couple of nice samples (might be an excuse for me to make myself a nice new one) and let them choose it for their gun of choice (condition that I may need their gun for the mold if I don't have it)

Good on you for contributing that. It is a beautiful piece of work.

WOW! an absolute work of art ... us neophyte tremble in the awe of your skills. I really like the idea of a "western styled" 1911 holster too ...

Glad that the proceeds went to great cause too...

Nice work!

Again, Gentlemen, thanks for the notes of appreciation, It kinda softens the heart of a grumpy old man .... for a little bit. Mike