Sign in to follow this  
mishka

Newbie Needs Some Help

Hello everyone,

im new to this forum and hope to find some advise.

I wan to make a mag pouch for double stack mags ( want to use them for competition). Need advise on what type of leather i should use and any templates or techiniques to implement.

I have some experience in making hand stiched leather watch straps and i hope i can utilize my skills on this project.

Down the road plan on getting into holster making, but for now just want to start with mag pouch.

Thanks

Mishka,

Shoulders work best for any kind of boning or molding which would be involved in the mag or holster designs. When I design a holster or mag holder, I usually sit down with pen and paper, cardboard and patience!!!! I would thing that mag holders would prolly be best made of 7, 8 or 9 oz. material. Not sure what is required with the competition rules but you may need some #24 snaps and a snap setter. I make holsters and everything I do is hand sewn the saddle stitch and 9 cord thread. The thread is quite heavy but it lends to the design and beauty of the product, in my opinion. You can use the "search" part of the site and I recall a few designs that were posted. There a a lot of guys and gals on here that have a ton of helpful information to get you going. Semper-fi Mike

I made a double mag holder once for my double stacked mags. It turned out OK, but not great. Because of the varying thickness of the mags, it didn't come out looking like I thought it would. The mags weren't lined up properly because of the way the leather formed around them. I haven't made a double one since.

Hello everyone,

im new to this forum and hope to find some advise.

I wan to make a mag pouch for double stack mags ( want to use them for competition). Need advise on what type of leather i should use and any templates or techiniques to implement.

I have some experience in making hand stiched leather watch straps and i hope i can utilize my skills on this project.

Down the road plan on getting into holster making, but for now just want to start with mag pouch.

Thanks

FWIW from the grumpy old guy; I make most all mag pouches from a simple fold-over design. Easy to make the pattern from a piece of manila folder., just play with it a bit, allow for the thickness of the leather, stitch it up and wet-mold. A sample of one of my double, double-stack mag pouches. Mike

004a.jpg

I would love to see some pics of single pouches for a double stack mags. As i plan to use them for idpa competition and not for carry. I will prob need to make four of them, so i can space them out on my belt nicely.

It looks like i have two options: 1. fold over, stich and wet mold 2. Wet mod it on the wooden template, nail it, dry it and then stich it.

Any other suggestions?

Thanks everyone.

@katsass - very nicely done, how do you attach them to the belt?

Here is what I make for a double stack single mag pouch.post-22603-085491800 1329408835_thumb.jp

mishka: off topic, but the most mag carriers (and total spare magazines for use) you are allowed to have on your belt is two for IDPA.

Mine aren't fancy, but I make them from one piece of leather. Fold the belt loop over, glue, and sew. Then fold the front over, glue, and sew. Then I wet mold them to the mag. The one pictured isn't for a doublestack mag, but I think the basic idea would be the same. As others have said, a manilla file folder is good for drawing and cutting out a pattern.

IMG_1709.jpg

Edited by gregintenn

Here are couple of different ones I made.The single one has velcro on the flap,the double one is for a 10 round and an 8 round side by side. Maybe this will help you.

post-19113-099137500 1329579706_thumb.jp

post-19113-028429400 1329579751_thumb.jp

I would love to see some pics of single pouches for a double stack mags. As i plan to use them for idpa competition and not for carry. I will prob need to make four of them, so i can space them out on my belt nicely.

It looks like i have two options: 1. fold over, stich and wet mold 2. Wet mod it on the wooden template, nail it, dry it and then stich it.

Any other suggestions?

Thanks everyone.

@katsass - very nicely done, how do you attach them to the belt?

mishka, you can't see from the photo, but all it is is a fold-over sleeve that slides onto the belt. Stitching is hidden by the two pouches. Mike