countryalltheway

Burnish Edges Without Beveling First?

Sooo,just wondering if it would work to burnish edges of stitched double layer leather without beveling them first or no? If I don't care that the edges look rounded(which I don't) could I do it that way or is there some other purpose to beveling first?

you don't say what yourproject is. The purpose of beveling the edges is to get a more rounded edge. The purpose of rounding the edge is actualy to giveyour project or product some protection. Squared edges will readily get beat up in use and may eventually become frayed looking. holsters, walets chechbooks etc are prone to edge contact a rounded edge has more surface area to spread impact it also more easily deflects impact. A squared edge has a smaller surface to take the impact and there for absorbs more impact in a specific area. Hopefuly that makes some sense. Try it make an item with a squared edge and a similar item that will see the same use after a time compare them. That is just my opinion however I have based it on my own experiences.

camano ridge gave you a really good answer, . . . not much to add to what he said.

The other thing of course, . . . beveling a flat / squared edge, . . . and maintaining a flat / squared edge, is probably a pretty good trick all in itself, . . . unless you are laying down mulitple layers of 10 oz or greater.

May God bless,

Dwight

not that it can't be done, but burnishing a square edge is more likely to result in a mushroomed edge, where your square corner folds over and gives a pretty poor look.