tboyce

Ipad Mini Holder

My friend asked me to make a cover for his iPad Mini. I downloaded the specifications and came up with the following:

All that is here is the part that would hold the device to whatever the user wants; which is the most difficult part It can be attached to the back of a sleeve or placed in a booklet type arrangement. I didn't feel like drawing up that because, to be honest, if you can't dream up what to attach this to, you shouldn't be trying it.

There are two types of dashed lines, long and short. The long dashed lines represent gouge lines and the short dashed lines are stitched lines.

The holder is designed to be closed on 3 sides and open at the top with (2) tabs that will keep the device in the holder with snaps.

I've shown the basic layout for the cuts (shaded areas are obviously cutout areas. The dimensions were in millimeters but, happily, when converted to inches and allowing for the basic sizes of punches, the pattern lends itself to anyone with a 1/8" and a 1/2" hole punch. The 1/8" punches can be used to facilitate the smaller slot type cutouts and the 1/2" punch is perfect for the larger center hole and for punching the radii for the corners of the screen cutout.

The drawing on the left represents what it will look like prior to folding and stitching. The drawing on the right represents the finished product ready to attach to a back piece of leather if you want a sleeve or a larger piece if a closed 'book' type arrangement is what you desire.

The print size is 24"x18"

Have fun

iPad Mini Holder.pdf

Thank you for sharing this! One question just to clarify, you designed the snaps to snap into mating parts on the back piece you would attach this to, correct?

As a leathworker I've always felt I was missing something by not making my own case for my mini. You may have inspired me to give it a try. I know I could carve a really nice cover for it!

Bob

Absolutely correct on the snaps. There has to be a way for the iPad to be kept in the holder and snaps seemed the likely way

Nice drawing. Thanks again for sharing.

JD

Would you be willing to do a standard size for the ipad?

Sure. I'll start on it Monday