DoubleC

First Project On The Cobra, Cross-Body Purse With Night Latch Strap

First project on the Cobra. Cross Body Bag with Night Latch strap. Things I learned. First, a lesson I relearn daily.....try to be smarter than the project. I didn't think about putting the D rings on until after I'd sewn the sides of the bag. Even a cobra will not change the direction it sews. No matter how nicely you ask. Do not put your fingers in the area of the presser feet. If you do? DON'T drop the presser feet. If you want the machine to sew forward it's most helpful that you don't have it in reverse. Last? When all else fails blame the tension.

Seriously first thing besides curly qs I've sewn on the machine.

post-27490-0-26366400-1376218059_thumb.j

post-27490-0-53184900-1376218062_thumb.j

Wow Cheryl! Congratulations on the Beautiful New Cobra machine (different post, but I saw it) :thumbsup:

and Congratulations on the first project.... lots to learn, but WoW - sooo cool, what fun!

Love the mystery braid on the strap! Good For You Cheryl............. Cheryl

Thanks Cheryl, I have a lot to learn still as you can see but I'm having so much fun. sorry took so long to respond, hours all mixed up. That's a night latch design Twin Oaks showed me way back when where you pull the leather through slits in itself, similar to a mystery braid but just one slit. I'll take a close up of it and post it later. Told me it was used when castles were guarded around the hand and saddle so if a guard dozed off he didn't fall off his horse!

Cheryl, welcome to the adventurous world of Cobra 4 sewing! I am only a few months in myself and still definitely on the learning curve. But, I get better at using this machine with each project. That keeps me wanting to discover more about all this terrific machine can do. I've never even tried the holster or stirrup plates yet but want to take on a project that will force me to learn all about how those work.

As to your little bag, it looks far better than my first "project" if you could have called it that. I see the stitching on the d-ring strap but it also looks like there is stitching on the front panel, maybe a rolled edge?

You are brave starting with anything other than a flat bag or pouch! Let us know how you progress.

Michelle

PS: It took me a couple moments to realize there are two Cheryls here. :^)

Thank you so much Michelle. I already have two people that want bags like this. I'm so enjoying this. The 'rolled' edge I had to sew on was where I sewed it inside out. And LOL about the two Cheryls. Cheryl

Heheheh........

Cheryl - what fun it all is, eh? - Cheryl :thumbsup:

I too have recently become a new owner of the Cobra 4.... Last week! I was sewing on a 29-4 so this is a huge step up for me that I have a long way to travel. However so far the machine has been a pleasure to use. Looking forward to learning and becoming proficient. Any side notes or lessons learned the hard way would be appreciated. Thanks all!

RULE #14 Take the needle out when changing presser feet. I wont admit to how I learned this one first hand !

Thanks 10-4 will do.