recalm

Looking For A Sewing Machine

Hello,

I'm thinking about getting into making wallets and I'm not sure what machine to buy. I'm going to be using leather similar to the ones they use in sneakers. Which machine will be capable of handling of sewing leather like this? I wouldn't mind getting a used machine.

Thanks for any kind help!

Check out any of the dealers that appear at the top of the page, they are all reputable and will be more than willing to help. I can recommend the Cowboy 227R as I recently purchased one from Bob Kovar at Toledo Sewing Machine. This will handle wallets with no problem. He has used machines.

Check out any of the dealers that appear at the top of the page, they are all reputable and will be more than willing to help. I can recommend the Cowboy 227R as I recently purchased one from Bob Kovar at Toledo Sewing Machine. This will handle wallets with no problem. He has used machines.

Thank you for the recommendation. I was looking for something in the low end range, maybe a few hundred bucks or lower? I am more looking into this as a hobby.

Thank you for the recommendation. I was looking for something in the low end range, maybe a few hundred bucks or lower? I am more looking into this as a hobby.

You are not going to find a new industrial sewing machine for "a few hundred bucks."

Check your local Craigslist for used industrial sewing machines. Get what you can within your budget, then buy any parts or accessory feet needed to get it to sew wallets. Try to find a walking foot machine in good working condition. I have seen them sell on Craigslist for as low as $400 to $600, from upholstery or tailor shops. New, these are often worth $1200 to $2000.

Stay away from high speed garment sewing machines with self oilers. They need to spin at a minimum speed of about 2000 rpm at the machine to get the oil distributed to all ends. You cannot sew leather that fast. Most leather is sewn at no more than 600 to 800 spm (stitches per minute), with most of our members usually sewing at less than 300 spm.

Also, the domestic machines sold on eBay as "Industrial Strength" are just glorified home machines being marketed with a fancy phrase. They may or may not sew your wallets at all. If they do, it will be with a maximum of #69 bonded nylon thread, which is only 11 pounds test. Still, this is okay for thin wallets.

You will be responsible for taking care of repairs, accessories and parts, when you buy from a private party (not a dealer). As a first time sewer you will encounter your share of problems. If you purchase a machine from a reputable dealer, they will usually assist you over the hump.

Edited by Wizcrafts

You are not going to find a new industrial sewing machine for "a few hundred bucks."

Check your local Craigslist for used industrial sewing machines. Get what you can within your budget, then buy any parts or accessory feet needed to get it to sew wallets. Try to find a walking foot machine in good working condition. I have seen them sell on Craigslist for as low as $400 to $600, from upholstery or tailor shops. New, these are often worth $1200 to $2000.

Stay away from high speed garment sewing machines with self oilers. They need to spin at a minimum speed of about 2000 rpm at the machine to get the oil distributed to all ends. You cannot sew leather that fast. Most leather is sewn at no more than 600 to 800 spm (stitches per minute), with most of our members usually sewing at less than 300 spm.

Also, the domestic machines sold on eBay as "Industrial Strength" are just glorified home machines being marketed with a fancy phrase. They may or may not sew your wallets at all. If they do, it will be with a maximum of #69 bonded nylon thread, which is only 11 pounds test. Still, this is okay for thin wallets.

You will be responsible for taking care of repairs, accessories and parts, when you buy from a private party (not a dealer). As a first time sewer you will encounter your share of problems. If you purchase a machine from a reputable dealer, they will usually assist you over the hump.

Thanks for the reply, lots of great information. I am definitely in the market for an used and older machine. Would you know if something like a Singer 328K would be okay? I don't have much space to spare and something like this would fit well with me.

Edited by recalm

Check the dealers at the top of the page for used machines. Some might even have leads you can follow up on.

Tom

Check the dealers at the top of the page for used machines. Some might even have leads you can follow up on.

Tom

Sorry I must be blind, I can't seem to find the dealers at the top of the page.

Sorry I must be blind, I can't seem to find the dealers at the top of the page.

There are banner ads at the top of the page unless you are using an ad-block in your browser. If so, disable the ad-block for LW.

Each time you refresh the page, a new set comes up, so refresh until you see all the sewing machine ads that you want to see.

Tom

Edited by northmount

There are banner ads at the top of the page unless you are using an ad-block in your browser. If so, disable the ad-block for LW.

Each time you refresh the page, a new set comes up, so refresh until you see all the sewing machine ads that you want to see.

Tom

Thanks, it was my adblocker!

Thanks for the reply, lots of great information. I am definitely in the market for an used and older machine. Would you know if something like a Singer 328K would be okay? I don't have much space to spare and something like this would fit well with me.

Negative

Negative

Do you know which kind of models can I find in the $100-500 range?

Would something like a Chandler CM61 work?

Edited by recalm

Do you know which kind of models can I find in the $100-500 range?

Would something like a Chandler CM61 work?

Nope. It is a chainstitch blindstitch garment hemming machine.You need to do more research on what a leather sewing machine is and isn't. Have you read my pinned topic at the top of this section of the forum?

Chandler does make a nice, entry level walking foot machine, called the 406RB