Rattle Snake Skinnin

I skinned a Rattle Snake the other night. Since I've never posted videos you guys will have to let me know if this works!

Thanks,

T

Yep, that's how I do the copperheads around here....except not in the kitchen, do it outside! I haven't tanned any up in 35 years, but if there's a good crop this year, I just might. If you do, that would be a good second video. Nice job. Wanna bet, it tastes like chicken....

I cant get the link to open

As soon as I decide what tanning solution I'm gonna use that will be the next video. Right now its a toss up between Rittels and a Tandy kit. Tandy is just down the road from me BUT Rittels seems like the more Pro way to do it.

Does anyone have any Tanning Kit buying advice?

Yep, that's how I do the copperheads around here....except not in the kitchen, do it outside! I haven't tanned any up in 35 years, but if there's a good crop this year, I just might. If you do, that would be a good second video. Nice job. Wanna bet, it tastes like chicken....

TKleather, and badlove...there is something wrong with the link, I had to delete the extra numbers and stuff first before i could see the video...sorry, i forgot to mention that..,

Lol, I second doing it outside.The wife isn't too keen on snakes, until after they are tanned and ready for use.Good video, thats pretty much how I do it too.Sorry can't help you on kits, I tan mine using a solution taught to me by a Taxidermist.I use a solution of 1/3 denatured alcohol,1/3 acetone and 1/3 glycerin.After thoroughly washing and drying the hide, I stake it out and apply the solution numerous times, then hang to air out and dry.I then sprinkle baby powder on it and roll up and bag for use.good luck.Dave

Snakeskin1.jpg

Thanks for taking the time to post this. I'm hoping to have a few skins in the near future and it's a good tut. Additional questions:

1. When prepping the skn, regardless of the tanning solution, does it get descaled?

2. DCKnives, for the solution you listed, is it liquid glycerine or is it like a glycerine soap bar dissolved?

3. For the washing and drying process- what do you wash it with? Just water to clean off as much 'gunk' as you can?

For whether it should be descaled or not is personal preference.My buddy Paul Long descales his and I usually don't.The reason I don't is because I like the texture, but the trade off is scales on a rattlesnake get brittle and if hit will flake off, if not treated.I apply many layers of Leather Sheen over my rattlesnake skins.FYI, most species don't have this issue and have smooth skins.The Glycerin I use is in liquid form and is available in most groceries and drug stores.For washing I just use something like Dawn and some warm water.As far as gunk, clean it off with tweeezers and a knife if need be then wash.I do warn you that this is not the most fun thing to do and it does smell pretty rank if your not use to it.Very little bothers me anymore, but my wife isn't too thrilled on skinning day. Dave

Edited by DCKNIVES

Excellent video, I was wondering how this is done and I think you hit the nail on the head. I am curious to see your video on tanning the skins. Also loved how you used the kitchen, I would do that just to freak out my wife. She hates snakes.

Lol, I second doing it outside.The wife isn't too keen on snakes, until after they are tanned and ready for use.Good video, thats pretty much how I do it too.Sorry can't help you on kits, I tan mine using a solution taught to me by a Taxidermist.I use a solution of 1/3 denatured alcohol,1/3 acetone and 1/3 glycerin.After thoroughly washing and drying the hide, I stake it out and apply the solution numerous times, then hang to air out and dry.I then sprinkle baby powder on it and roll up and bag for use.good luck.Dave

Snakeskin1.jpg

Hi Dave here is a few questions please from a rookie. I saw on youtube that they use only alcohol and glycerine what is the purpose of the acetone? They also put the solution on the "meat side" every day for a week so my question is do you put it both sides or not and how many times is numerous? I intend tanning puffadder skins here in South Africa and we have a hot climate and not very humid.

Thanks David

David, it was not told to me what exactly the acetone does, but I assume it helps in drying out the skin.I just know that it worked for me.Numerous is about 5-6 times for my work, and yes I did both sides.Dave

Hi Dave here is a few questions please from a rookie. I saw on youtube that they use only alcohol and glycerine what is the purpose of the acetone? They also put the solution on the "meat side" every day for a week so my question is do you put it both sides or not and how many times is numerous? I intend tanning puffadder skins here in South Africa and we have a hot climate and not very humid.

Thanks David

Judging on the makeup of the solution, the acetone is just a secondary cleaner/drying agent. Alcohol is great stuff but won't dissolve some oils effectively. Acetone is slightly more caustic and will clean those left behind by the alcohol. The Glycerine portion is likely a moisture content replacement for the water/oils being cleaned out so the leather doesn't turn into cardboard during the process. ;)

Thanks for the replies

I wonder if this method works well on all types of snakes? I've been seeing some MONSTER pine snakes around here. They have some interesting patterns on their skins...

That reminds me, I have a snake in the freezer I need to deal with.

What do you all use to get the flesh off? I've only skinned one snake and ended up tearing the skin trying to get the flesh off.

Ann