MDL

Rifle sling hardware

I'm looking for the necessary hardware to build a leather rifle sling. I did a search here but did not find what I'm looking for. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Dan.

Have you checked Tandys??? They should have what you need for more basic work.

Ohio travel bag seem to be popular for cool hardware too.

If you are in US?

Tom

Can you post a picture, or link to one on the internet that shows what kind of sling you're looking for? For a common/basic sling, you should only need a pair of sling swivels (available at your local sporting goods store), and a couple of chicago screws, and maybe a couple of rivets. This is my sling - if you would like more details on how it's made, let me know.

253276084_fce8x-L.jpg

The only hardware I use on mine are chicago screws. Other then that unless you need to buy the actually attachment hardware for the rifle itself I am not sure. That would be probably gun supply stores or the manufacturer.

Thanks for the replys everyone.

Particle, The picture you posted looks like what I had in mind. How do you adjust the length? Can you post a picture of the way you did it?

Thanks,

Dan.

Dan, I didn't make the sling - my step-dad bought it back in the mid 80's when he purchased the rifle. But, the narrow portion of the sling has adjustment holes just like a belt. Instead of a buckle, there is a single brass chicago screw - remove the screw, install the sling swivel and adjust the length of the sling, then reinstall the chicago screw. The other end also has a chicago screw - remove the screw, install the sling swivel, and reinstall the screw.

The narrow belt portion is skived down to a thin taper, then stitched between the wider layers at the shoulder portion.

I'll try to take some pictures tomorrow if I can.

Thanks Particle,

No need for a picture now. I was over-complicating the whole thing. Someone dropped off a nylon "store bought" sling with all kinds of adjustments and attachments on it that I guess aren't really needed. I guess it's time to get in the shop and start cutting leather!

Thanks.

I took the pics before I read your post, but I'll go ahead and post the pics anyway - just in case anyone stumbles across this thread and wants more information.

As you can see, the shoulder area is suede (front and back), double stitched.

738900242_Nyjt5-XL.jpg

The narrow portion of the strap is a single layer of leather with the rough backing exposed, single stitched for aesthetics.

738900559_79Ms9-XL.jpg

The keeper is stitched to carry on the aesthetics, and the ends of the keeper are riveted together with small brass rivets. The strap is adjustable with a large hole spacing, and is secured with brass Chicago screws. The sling swivel is a basic variety, available at your local firearms supply store.

738901078_4FtyC-L.jpg

The next two pictures show that the shoulder portion is actually three layers - two suede layers, and a center piece of the same thickness. One layer of the suede is skived away to aid in folding the end of the strap. Again, secured with a single Chicago screw.

738901309_KcwA6-L.jpg

738901494_EW5P8-L.jpg

And finally, you can see how the center layer of the shoulder strap is skived away on the opposite end and the single layered belt portion is also skived down - the two skived pieces are overlapping and the suede continues on another inch so it can all be secured with stitching.

738901693_fqtZX-L.jpg

All in all, there is nothing special about this particular sling. However, I personally feel it's one of the nicer ones I've seen because of the suede and double stitching. The majority of the straps you'll find in the big-box stores only have single stitching.

Edited by particle

Nice photo work!!! Thanks for posting. The pictures definitely help, and will come in handy for others in the future!

After giving this some more thought and then seeing your pictures, it got me to thinking about what the best type of padding that could be used and how would it be attached? I would think it would need to be easy to clean and maintain after being out in hunting conditions. What do you folks recommend?

If you are looking for sling hooks, Ohio Travel Bag has them. If you only need a couple, PM me and I can get them to you. I use them on occassion and they work well to make back scratchers with.

Thanks,

Duke