harnessman

Artisan Sewing Machines

Hi Guys

I am in the market for a middleweight machine and kind of like the looks of the Artisan 2618-1B LTHR machine. Anyone out there use one of these? If so, how do you like it? I am looking for a machine that will comfortably hande 1/4-3/8 type work in harness leather. I have a big harness stitcher from NEEL but man it hurts to replace those big 784 needles! I also have a flat bed Singer 211 machine that works great for under 1/4 work, mostly I use it to set zippers into leather.

Any commentary on the ARtisan would be appreciated, or for that mater any other machine in this class.

Thanks

Jim

Hi Jim,

I think Artisan is done, I heard they are pursuing other interests. The 618 that is good is made by Highlead, but they now only distributed through Freedlander, I think. The other option is the TaKing 1245 which is a clone of the Pfaff 1245. The one I have seen is nice and will do a little more than the 618. Call Steve, with a little push he might handle them. The 206 machines (Consew clones) are also good, they are made all over God's creation so it depends on where you get it, again Steve can help you there.

Art

Hi Guys

I am in the market for a middleweight machine and kind of like the looks of the Artisan 2618-1B LTHR machine. Anyone out there use one of these? If so, how do you like it? I am looking for a machine that will comfortably hande 1/4-3/8 type work in harness leather. I have a big harness stitcher from NEEL but man it hurts to replace those big 784 needles! I also have a flat bed Singer 211 machine that works great for under 1/4 work, mostly I use it to set zippers into leather.

Any commentary on the ARtisan would be appreciated, or for that mater any other machine in this class.

Thanks

Jim

Hi Jim,

I think Artisan is done, I heard they are pursuing other interests. ...

Art

Just my opinion, but after one phone call to them they were off my list when researching machines this last few weeks.

Didn't get a good feeling from the conversation and at times was put off by the attitude of the person on the phone. They had no problem insulting other machines (or my intelligence for considering them) that have gotten good reviews and are used by many folks here with great success only to comment on how much better their machines are. Better or not, I'd loathe to have to deal with a personality like that in the future if I ever needed repairs/service.

After much research and very pleasant conversations with Bob, Steve and Ron I opted for the new Techsew 2700 as it fit my needs perfectly current and future and Ron's prices are great even when shipping is considered.

Ron's prices are great even when shipping is considered.

Mind if I ask how much shipping is from Canada to CA?

Thanks,

Bob (whos' very confused)

Mind if I ask how much shipping is from Canada to CA?

Thanks,

Bob (whos' very confused)

Hi Bob,

Feel free to visit our website or give me a call if you have any questions.

Happy thanksgiving,

Ron

Edited by Ronnie

Then again, spinner could have just popped down to Melanie machine and picked up a 153W103 in good condition.

Art

Shipping was $230, about $30-50 more than the out of state US dealers quoted. The difference was that covered delivery to my shop door. Saving the $50-100 lift gate fee or 1-2 hours to go to somewhere with a loading dock (considering my shop rate is $50/hour plus gas to get there in my truck), plus things that Ron did to make the deal even more equitable balanced the scales in his favor slightly.

I do appreciate everyone I spoke to, with the one exception mentioned above, but I'm not a haggler. I ask about products, get the price offered and compare based on my needs. Pitting dealers against one another just isn't my game so I request quotes, make notes and then make a decision. One thing that Ron did that I really liked is to send a written quote following our conversation, without being asked to. This saved me time (not having to recall notes & make follow up phone calls) and gave me piece of mind that the price discussed would also be the price tomorrow or next week.

Then again, spinner could have just popped down to Melanie machine and picked up a 153W103 in good condition.

Art

Thanks Art, I didn't know about them but at this time I decided I wanted a new machine. Good reference for the next purchase though.

Shipping was $230, about $30-50 more than the out of state US dealers quoted. The difference was that covered delivery to my shop door. Saving the $50-100 lift gate fee or 1-2 hours to go to somewhere with a loading dock (considering my shop rate is $50/hour plus gas to get there in my truck), plus things that Ron did to make the deal even more equitable balanced the scales in his favor slightly.

I do appreciate everyone I spoke to, with the one exception mentioned above, but I'm not a haggler. I ask about products, get the price offered and compare based on my needs. Pitting dealers against one another just isn't my game so I request quotes, make notes and then make a decision. One thing that Ron did that I really liked is to send a written quote following our conversation, without being asked to. This saved me time (not having to recall notes & make follow up phone calls) and gave me piece of mind that the price discussed would also be the price tomorrow or next week.

Thanks for your support Chris, was a pleasure doing business with you. Let me know if you need anything!

Ron

Hi Jim,

I think Artisan is done, I heard they are pursuing other interests. The 618 that is good is made by Highlead, but they now only distributed through Freedlander, I think. The other option is the TaKing 1245 which is a clone of the Pfaff 1245. The one I have seen is nice and will do a little more than the 618. Call Steve, with a little push he might handle them. The 206 machines (Consew clones) are also good, they are made all over God's creation so it depends on where you get it, again Steve can help you there.

Art

Art, I don't know where you got your information, but Artisan is a very long way from "done". Not sure about pursuing additional interests, but if they are it will be to the benefit of the Artisan brand.

I have used Artisan products for about ten years now and have had !. problem free service from my machines, and 2. excellent, and outstanding customer service from Jerry Zonis and his entire staff and before that from Steve when he was still there.

I do not have any financial stake in Artisan, nor am I connected with them in any way other than being a very satisfied customer.

Just out of curiosity, Art, do you have any financial or other interest in Cobra?

Spinner, I am sorry you didn't have what you consider a good experience with Artisan. Your experience surely does not reflect what I have always gotten from the Artisan group. I wish you the best with your new machine.

Paul

I am very happy to report that the Artisan company is very much alive and well. We have decided in these economic times to broaden our marketing efforts to include additional industries and not just our beloved leather trades. We design, manufacture, and supply over 63 different models and sub-classes of production and simple sewing and cutting machinery.Mr. Art van Hecke mistaken reported the demise of our company on this thread. His statements are completely untrue. Mr. Van Hecke also happens to be an investor in the company selling Cobra brand sewing machines, he has something to gain by his lies. Although Mr. van Hecke had previously purchased several leather sewing machines from Artisan and for some reason he later decided to help finance and convince our now former salesman, Steve to start his own company, to me his intentions to try and undermine Artisan are very plain to see.This situation is complicated and long, and this is not the place to go into details, but be assured that Artisan sewing machines are doing well and will be here to provide our customers the very best in service, replacement spare parts, and machinery possible.Jerry Zonis, owner Artisan Sewing Supplies, Inc. Since 1968

Edited by Johanna
Knock it off, both of you!

The idea of you calling me a liar is the biggest joke I have heard. I am happy to hear that Artisan is doing well, but I only repeated comments made to me by SEVERAL of your former suppliers. Add to this the fact that we haven't seen any Artisan ads in the majors for some time, nor have we seen Artisan at any shows for a while. I did say that you were pursuing other interests as I was told by others that you had informed them. I am happy to find that the Company you started in 1968 (when you were 14 or 15) is still doing fine. I would be happy to pull a Lexis-Nexis search of You and Artisan next week to obtain hard copy of some of the other things I have been told. Why pray tell, is Dave now working for Steve (saw him in the Cobra booth at the Boot and Saddlemakers Roundup, hmmmmmmm no Artisan at the show)?

As far as what companies I support, and to what extent; that is none of your nor anyone's business.

Yes, I did purchase several machines from Artisan. I was told by you Jerry, that all the parts were made in the USA. You did not tell me the truth. You even printed these untruths in your advertisements, I still have them and so does everyone else who collects the LC&SJ and Shop Talk. Those two Highlead (Chinese, sure as hell not American) machines I purchased from Artisan are working very well to this day, despite misrepresentation, if I need parts or anything, I get them from Steve.

Art

I am very happy to report that the Artisan company is very much alive and well. We have decided in these economic times to broaden our marketing efforts to include additional industries and not just our beloved leather trades. We design, manufacture, and supply over 63 different models and sub-classes of production and simple sewing and cutting machinery. Mr. Art van Hecke mistaken reported the demise of our company on this thread. His statements are completely untrue. Mr. Van Hecke a former moderator of this thread also happens to be an investor in the company selling Cobra brand sewing machines, he has something to gain by his lies. Although Mr. van Hecke had previously purchased several leather sewing machines from Artisan and for some reason he later decided to help finance and convince our now former salesman, Steve to start his own company, to me his intentions to try and undermine Artisan are very plain to see. This situation is complicated and long, and this is not the place to go into details, but be assured that Artisan sewing machines are doing well and will be here to provide our customers the very best in service, replacement spare parts, and machinery possible. Jerry Zonis, owner Artisan Sewing Supplies, Inc. Since 1968

I have an Artisan Toro 3000, and I'm very happy with it. It is very forgiving and does all that is asked of it. Artisan's service has been good for me too. All that said, when I called them, I also got the full court press running down their competitors. If I hadn't already tried out a Toro and had my mind set on it, that probably would have killed the sale. In my opinion, if you have to resort to running down your competitors, you must not have enough good to say about your own product.

And Art, I completely understand and respect your desire to answer the charges in this thread, but further discussion would be beneath you. Your honesty and integrity in this forum is beyond question.

Russ

Gentlemen, you both have very valid points, but let's not run with scissors on the forum, please. Jerry, glad to hear Artisan is doing well and successfully diversifying. Art, I appreciate the way you help people determine which machine will do the work they want it to and mention all the choices. Ultimately it's up to the customer to do his own homework and make a decision, like Spinner did.

Jerry, I know you are unbelieveably busy, but I encourage you to drop by any time and give us your opinion. Because you took the time to teach me, I know that any idiot, despite the intimidation factor of running a powerful machine, can run an Artisan, because you got me comfortable sewing with it. I'm sure the same is true for Cobra, Cowboy and Techsew because I know all those guys too, and they are competent and patient.

Jerry, if I can help publicize your expansions, I will be happy to do so. Just send me a press release. I'm sure everyone is curious about what's up with Artisan lately, and that would put matters to rest.

Johanna

:thankyou: