DoubleC

While I'm Resting My Fingers A Few Questions

I decided to attempt another bag after the fiasco several months ago when it looked so easy. Been here long enough now to know it's my biggest challenge to date. I'm using this http://springfieldleather.com/33869/Desert-Rough-Rider-Sides/ for the front, back and flap and this http://springfieldleather.com/32394/Lining%2CGlazed-Pig%2CBlack%2CSqFt/ for the gussets. Since this is thin leather with a drapery temper I decided to use some orange embossed veg tanned for the lining including the gusset. That was a good choice as far as really adding substance to the bag and also matching the Rough Rider well. What didn't work well is I'm saddle stitching it all together and the veg tanned isn't the least bit stretchy while the other two are. I can't use an awl, it just laughs at me so I nailed the front and gusset to a wooden cutting board and used a finishing nail to put the stitch holes in, and I'm about to finish the saddle stitching on one side of the front. Which means I'm getting ready to turn a corner and I don't know if I need to cut the gusset in the corner like you would upholstery or just sew it as is. I don't want to make it easier, just do it right and not weaken the bag.

Also the back and flap is one piece, is that going to be a problem? I'm going to saddle stitch across the front and back to hold the lining but have left the flap part the way it came off the cow, all uneven and ragged. I really like the look. However is it necessary to cut it from the back?

Since I hadn't intended to line the flap, do I need to in order for the rough rider to keep the handle secure, shore it up some? The buckles will be on the lined front with more support and the strap on the gusset so also supported. I'm really taking my time with this and want to make sure I do whatever is possible to make it come out right. The black gusset with the rusty/black leather that shows is really just looking so good together.

Thanking you in advance for any help. Cheryl

Sorry, also wanted to ask if I can still use resolene on this type of leather and if not how to waterproof it, or make it water resistant. Thanks again, Cheryl

Hi Cheryl.

Are you sewing this rough edges out or are you planning on turning this bag so the edges are hidden inside the bag?

Why don't you leave the top edge of the lining open at the flap. That way it is a pocket of sorts for folders and papers on the inside. . This way you won't weaken the flap since it sounds like you intend to have the handle on the flap itself. If it were me I would probably put a piece of the heaver leather to sew the handle through on the underside of the flap... not sure how to deal with the handle.

As for turning corners, I am sure others will help you with that... but what I do is center one hole at the apex of the corner and go from there.

I'm doing the outside edges out Sylvia so it's a blind stitch. Well I could leave the lining open at the top, I mean it doesn't need sewn because I glued it :-( But I never though about the weakening aspect of going across the back which is also the flap. I can shore up the curve of the flap with the veg tanned like I have the inside or regular veg tanned. At the risk of this looking like a walking circus I've been thinking of using natural veg tanned or maybe suntanned with resolene to sew on to hold the D rings for the strap and to sew the handle on. So I could also sew it to the natural veg tanned on the inside. But like I said with the rusty/black rough rider, black pig, and orange veg tanned I'm wondering if it would make it really busy.

I also I think I'd like to make a suitcase type handle for this. I could drill a rein rounder but I wonder again if I'm getting away from the simplicity and 'rough hewn' look I wanted for this. I'm going for something a cowgirl wouldn't mind throwing in the back of a dusty truck kinda. Am I making any sense? (probably not, LOL)

I apologize, this is a scanned picture, since I moved I haven't been able to find my camera battery charger. I did the gusset on the front panel like Sylvia suggested but I could still use some answers to my other questions. I'm done for the night, or at least my fingers are.