King's X

Director's Chair

I was able to get a hold of a director chair frame from my local Craigslist for Free! I has no material, just frame and it needs some re-gluing done...not a problem. The problem is I have never own one of these chairs, so I don't really know where to start. Was wondering if anyone has done a Director's type chair and maybe could give me some advice, pitfalls to avoid, maybe dimensions? If anyone has a cool looking design (general layout) that worked out for them that would be helpful. I am think about a nice Texas flag on the back support? I was also thinking about maybe doing a Texas style theme to represent the entire state? What do you all think? Any help would be appreciated.

Many thanks.

I can tell you it probably needs to be lined with something less stretchy than leather.

I also made the mistake of thinking I could just stitch a strip of leather on each side of the seat and the pressure from the arms would hold it in place. That didn't work. I had to do a thin strip and then a wider strip to go where the dowel originally went, which meant I had to hand stitch it.

Kevin

PS I'm talking about 10 oz leather, not chap leather.

Thanks. I appreciate the help.

Boy the have alittle of everything! I appreciate the resource. I guess I going to have to open up the chair after I repair it and take some measurements and compare them to these photographs.

Thanks a million!

Hi There

Came across this site - some good inspiration and ideas here.

Cheers Dave

http://www.classicle.../homedecor.html

That's a cool site! They have a lot of neat ideas. Their sling style directors chair is a knock-off of the chair John Ivy has been making for the last 20 years. He tools his though.

I have one of the folding ones with a table from Camping World that the fabric got exposed to the SW Desert sun too long and one side ripped at the stitching but the back and the seat are connected. It is a project I will be working on later down the road. I can take some pix of it if you would like. I was planning on using skirting leather for the seat and back then take some 9-11oz and triple stitch it and see if it will hold my 300+ lbs of mass. I will tool it but I would probably add a strip on the back with my SASS alias on it. The down the road when the table gives way redo it in thin wood covered with tooled leather covered with neat lac.