Sign in to follow this  
MADMAX22

Inlay gerber sheath

Hey guys I was playing with some tejus lizard that I got off of ebay and decided to try one of the gerber multi tool sheaths with a little inlay.

More of a learning experience playing with some new finishes (new to me) and dealing with alot of mistakes. Didnt really plan this one out too much but it was fun to do and I learned alof of what not to do next time.

Anyways here it is. The dye is feibings light brown (unthinned, I usually allways thin my dye and I think I will continue to do so), finished with some oil, then acrylice resoline. At first I finished it with some leather balm with atom wax but ended up pulling too much dye up and got it on the lizard so had to go back and take that off as much as possible then came back in with the resolene. Anyways like I said it was a learning experience.

Other issues. I used to thin a leather for the backing of the inlay side.It isnt firm enough to keep the inlay really steady, the front and back of the sheath is 5oz, I used the cutout piece for under the inlay since the lizard skin is really thin, then put some 2oz behind the inlay side. Well next time Ill just use the 5 or 6oz to go behind the inlay side.

resized_front_veiw.JPG

resized_open_front.JPG

resized_side_veiw.JPG

post-5781-1229457772_thumb.jpg

post-5781-1229457783_thumb.jpg

post-5781-1229457789_thumb.jpg

Looks great Max, glad you tried it.Not much I would do different except if I don't line my sheaths and holsters, I always dye and seal the inside.Dave

Looks great Max, glad you tried it.Not much I would do different except if I don't line my sheaths and holsters, I always dye and seal the inside.Dave

Hey thanks Dave,

that brings up another question. When dying the flesh side what do you seal it with? The next one I do I have some other ideas but would like the inside to match atleast color wise and havnt had good luck with dyeing the flesh side.

I dye it, then use Fiebings Leather Sheen.Dave