Davidstryingtosew

Singer 300W203

I'm a little new to this forum, but have posted a couple times about a month ago.

I'm still getting my "shop" set up and have nice Singer 111W155 to start out with.

I came across a nice 300w203 for sale. I found some info on it and it sounds amazing. But the 62x59 needle system has me questioning it. I haven't heard anything about this system and cant find much info on my own. I'm also wondering what size thread can it handle.

Singer says it is made for auto trim, which is what I'm going to use it for primarily, but what about heavier belt leather?

I'm really interested in it because of the 2 needle set up and I do plan to get a nice Slow controllable servo motor for it. Since I'm going to be doing a lot of french stitching, so I thought it would be handy. And I have to admit, I'm kinda getting addicted to these beautiful older machines.

So what do you guys think about it. Is it a good upholstery machine?

Just to share, I wanted to add a couple pics of my table I've been working on since I last posted. I have it set up with a Pfaff 145 H4 but I think I'm going to sell it to a friend who is really needed it.

Thanks in advance everyone!

David

post-46944-0-77959200-1388039000_thumb.j

post-46944-0-91034200-1388039032_thumb.j

post-46944-0-84313000-1388039065_thumb.j

The 300 is a great canvas or upholstery machine but if you want to sew belts you should get a machine that has bobbins.Since this 300 is a chain stitch machine it makes loops on the bottom of the material (like whats on a dog food bag ) the 62x59 needle is special to the 300 since it has a twisted groove & isn 't available in a leather point.

If you want to sew leather get a double needle machine that has bobbins.also make the the gauge or distance between the needle is what you need since it is hard to change.

Edited by CowboyBob

Thanks so much Bob. THIS is what I was looking for, answers right to the point. You guys have saved me so much grief by telling me not only what, but why a machine is good or isn't for a particular purpose. I think I will get the 300 for the french seams (the price is more than reasonable), but I'm not going to get rid of my 111w155 (unless I find a 156 or similar). That I'll keep for all the other sewing.

So something like a Singer 212 or a Consew 339 would be good for double stitching belts?

David

You can certainly sew leather with a 300W, but as Bob stated, it's a chainstitch machine, no bobbins and wouldn't be suitable for belts. We just completed 1000 or so heavy suede welding jackets for the US Navy using a 300W. The 300W is a beast. It's needle feed, some have a close coupled puller. We use them for flat felling denim, tin cloth, wool, etc. We also use them for topstitching after joining a garment with a serger. I use them for setting waistbands on jeans. I use needle system 62x57. The 135x17 class works as well which allows a wide range of needles. I've got 15 or so of these machines with various gauges. I'm even using one to set suede pads on Lycra equestrian pants. Here's a picture of the one I used for the welding jackets. Speed reducer, air needle coolers, and silicone treatment using Kevlar thread.

Regards, Eric

post-33297-0-91016100-1388124609_thumb.j

As for doing French stitching on auto upholstery, I've seen a 300W set with a 3/8" gauge. It does work on foamed back vinyl and without bobbins, you don't have to worry about running out on a long seat seam. They are not for the novice mechanic however, as a chainstitch is way different than a lockstitch. They are good for boat upholstery because of the longer runs. I do have all the manuals, and I think they are online. They are really well suited for mass production. I'm using size 14 needles on Lycra clear up to size 22 on heavy denim. I've used Tex 40 up to Tex 130 thread. They are not fond of bonded nylon, but will work.

Juki does make a nice 2 needle lockstitch with a walking foot. I recently set one up at an upholstery shop. I can't remember the model number. I set it with a 3/8" gauge and his seams looked nice. He was sewing foam backed leather on an Jaguar restoration. If I recall, the thread was Tex 90 and about size 21 needles.

Regards, Eric

Edited by gottaknow

Yes,there's Singer 212,112w139,Juki 521,Consew 339 are all double needles.

Edited by CowboyBob