Sign in to follow this  
Chipperi

Want my stitching holes to line up neatly

Ok heres the problem. I usually make OTB paddle style holsters, so it is usually 2 pieces glued everywhere except the pocket for the gun. This makes it extremely easy to saddle stitch by hand. I am now making an IWB style holster which is a single piece of leather cut to shape and folded in half. Herein lies the problem the stiching is very close to the gun so glue is out, how can I hold it securely to punch and stitch it so all my holes stay backed up nice and neat?

Sorry Brain Fart

For those non gun people

OTB= on the belt

IWB= inside the waist band

Edited by Chipperi

Are you molding the holster before you glue and stitch or after?

With this style holster I cant mold until it is stiched, for that matter I usually dye...stitch...mold in that order on all my holsters.

Edited by Chipperi

how can I hold it securely to punch and stitch it so all my holes stay backed up nice and neat?

Spring clamps and binder clips. You can get the spring clams at hardware store and the binder clips at Office supply.

how can I hold it securely to punch and stitch it so all my holes stay backed up nice and neat?

Spring clamps and binder clips. You can get the spring clams at hardware store and the binder clips at Office supply.

really don't matter since its IWB but do spring clips or binder clips leave indentations in the leather?

really don't matter since its IWB but do spring clips or binder clips leave indentations in the leather?

If the leather is dry which you say you do not wet form until after its sewn then the answer is no. The spring clips that I use have plastic over the jaws that leave very little if any marks.

I always use some glue on the seems that I am sewing to hold them in place. I use a machine so I am more concerned about the leather moving as I sew. I have no problems with using a little glue to hold everything in place. I use a glue called "Fabric Tack". It is clear glue that drys in seconds and is clear with little odor. I t comes in a bottle with an applicator tip that lets me put just the ammount where I want it. I have used it for years and would not build a holster or case without it now. It is like a second pair of hands.

RC

Just dampen both the inside and outside of the holster with water on the "fold" and this will give you the opportunity to flatten the holster down a bit. Some glue will help keep the two pieces from moving about while you punch your holes for the stitching.

Edited by K-Man