jessie1129

Consew 227 Needle Hitting Bobbin Case

I have acquired a used consew 227. The problem is bottom thread has always been loose/looping. I have tried adjusting the tension on bobbin/taking out bobbin and removing debris ect. Upon removing many parts i do notice the needle is hitting the bobin case on its way down. Pretty sure this is not a good thing. Please help

Is the needle hitting the hook "hard" and you cannot sew or is it deflecting the needle or is just the hook tip touching the needle?

its always a good idea to post some pictures or a video of what is going wrong. Most likely your timing is off or you have insert the the needle in a wrong angle.

Edited by Constabulary

the needle appears to just nick the hook then as it lowers some more it hits the bobbin case and you can see the needle bend a bit.

i have pics and video but not sure how to post vid.

i have to resize pic first as well.

thanks for the response.

in the lower right corner is a brown button "MORE REPLAY OPTIONS" there you can upload the files.

I would assume you just have to adjust the needle bar a little bit.

Check if you have insert your needle correctly. The needle scarf has to face exactly right (towards the hook). When you turn the hand wheel the hook tip has to meet the needle scarf about 1.6mm above the needle eye.

Thank you so much for your replies and help. I want this machine to stitch perfectly, even if i have to repkace it piece by piece! Heres a pic. The needle just barely bends and hits casing. The needle bar?/holder looks a bit banged up too. Maybe i should replace thus before messing with timing.

That is the needle deflector, you can carefully adjust it / bend a tiny bit but be really carefull!!!!

But before you do that check if the hook tip meets the needle scarf ~ 1.6mm above the needle eye when the needle bar is on the upwards stroke.

BTW - your hook tip is broken or blunt as it seems but I´m not sure it just looks like.

Edited by Constabulary

i just checked.

on upward motion the hook makes contact with the scarf right around that 1.6 mark.

is the needle supposed to make contact with the hook and that deflector below the hook like that??

No, you need to move the whole shuttle assembly away from the needle. Depending on how it was done you may also need to move the drive gear.

Start with a new needle so you are sure it is not bent. bend the needle deflector away from the needle. so it just clears the needle then carefully see if the hook hits the needle. I use a small flashlight and a piece of white paper behind the needle/hook to see if I have a little clearance, If it touches you will need to move the hook saddle to the right to get the clearance you need. If it clears then re-bend the needle deflector so the needle just brushes the needle but does not move it to the left. If you have to move the hook saddle you may have to re time the hook.

Start with a new needle so you are sure it is not bent. bend the needle deflector away from the needle. so it just clears the needle then carefully see if the hook hits the needle. I use a small flashlight and a piece of white paper behind the needle/hook to see if I have a little clearance, If it touches you will need to move the hook saddle to the right to get the clearance you need. If it clears then re-bend the needle deflector so the needle just brushes the needle but does not move it to the left. If you have to move the hook saddle you may have to re time the hook.

thanksvfor the reply.

the needle is brand new.

gonna try moving the hook saddle

Thank you so much for the help! I will be taking apart the shuttle hook ect (deep breathe) to get the needle in correct position. Just downloaded consew parts manual. Going to pick a day without my two year grabbing at tiny screws ;)

I´m sure you can manage it - it is not rocket science but a bit of trial and error until you have found the best setting.

The good thing is that you learn a lot when you do it on your own. Sooner or later you have to do it again and then you know what and how to do!

update.

moved the shuttle over and retimed.

needle wasnt hitting anymore but bottom stitch was still loose/birdsnest.

long story short.

iooked at the bobbin and it looked like the left screw would actually effect tension. not the right screw as the manual tels you.

so i adjusted the other screw on bobbin. the left one.

that was it all along i think. it works perfect now.

is the manual incorrect???

this is a consew 227 no reverse.

thanks for alk the help.

It is the screw on the left used to adjust tension. The right hand screw just holds the spring on the case. Good job, glad it is working for you.

I appear to have issues with the tension adjustment on the bobbin case as well. It does not seem to matter whether the screw is loose or as tight as possible, the bobbin free wheels as you draw the thread out. Any suggestions?

YinTx

There are 2 screws on the bobbin. One holds the end of the metal strip, the other adjusts the amount of pinch (tension) the thread is subject to. So first, make sure you are on the right screw for the adjustment. Some manuals have reversed the screw descriptions, but if you look carefully, you can figure it out.

Second, look for a piece of thread that might be jammed between the bobbin case and the tension flap/strip. Take it right off and clean the surfaces.

Tom

Edit:

I assume you are pulling the thread through the bobbin slot and under the tension strip.

Northmount,

Thanks for that. I did previously remove the strip entirely, it does appear to have a smooth/unbent shape, and does appear to clamp down properly when the screw is tightened. There was nothing under it to cause problems. I am tightening the one closes to the exit of the thread as it is the one that makes the strip flex. I had thought the thread was going under the tension strip, it was hard to see so I did verify, it is going under the tension strip. It is still freewheeling.

YinTx

Does the 227 use a spring inside the bobbin case? If that's missing, that will allow the bobbin to "spool"

The more I looked at the machine in operation, the more I became convinced there was something wrong with the tensioner spring in the bobbin case, so I removed it and tried to flex it.

Not really a spring steel metal as you might expect, since it bent easily. So I gave it a bit more of a curve, and reinstalled it. Voila, there was a bit of resistance on the bobbin thread once again, and I could adjust the tension by tightening/ loosening the screw. Success there! I feel the tension is still uneven as the knots don’t alway sit correctly on a single run of 2 foot stitching, but it is much improved. If I can find a new one to replace it, I will. Any ideas on further improving tension consistency would be appreciated.

Thanks,

YinTx