DaCodaBuchan

Guitar Strap

I don't see the point in buying the guitar strap kit from Tandy when what it costs could potently buy me a strap cutter so I could make as many as I wanted.

I have created a quick paint sketch of how I think a guitar strap should/could work. Please tell me if this is how it's done. I've looked at Tandy's and a few others and I think this is how it works.

I have a belt with loops to slide an extender through, and a hole/snap on one side to connect to guitar. The bottom thing is a strap that fits through the loops at the desired length. This has a loop/snap to attach to guitar. The top of that T shape keeps it from sliding through the loop. I figured I would attach a metal bar of some kind to that to keep it from tearing.

Thanks for your help.

DaCoda

G Strap.jpg

post-13118-126384514979_thumb.jpg

Hi Da Coda, i've made 15 or 20 straps over the years. This is how i made mine. First thing is get you some poster board and draw it out and cut it out. That way you make sure things fit before you cut your leather. Instead of a hole make a smaller hole and cut a slit to slide over the buttons. The front end needs to taper down to around 1 1/4 - 1 1/2 inches so theirs not so bluck. On the other end i make a rounder end instead of the T shape. Puch a slout in the round end to run the strap through after you have the length you want. GSTRAP2.jpg

I don't see the point in buying the guitar strap kit from Tandy when what it costs could potently buy me a strap cutter so I could make as many as I wanted.

I have created a quick paint sketch of how I think a guitar strap should/could work. Please tell me if this is how it's done. I've looked at Tandy's and a few others and I think this is how it works.

Hi DaCoda,

Here's a copy of my pattern you are welcome to use as you see fit. If you print it out, it should give you a full-scale pattern. All the slots are made with a 1-inch slot punch.

guitarstrap02.pdf

Kate

guitarstrap02.pdf

You can pretty much make them any size/shape you want. I made a few straps for my kids and their friends for 'guitar hero' game. They were all fixed size/length. I really did not like the way the Tandy kit looked and worked. Now, I have seen some with nice western buckles in use for adjustment capabilities, which I thought was pretty cool looking, but never tried it. I've got to make another guitar hero strap for a friend of one of my kids.

Good luck.