Sign in to follow this  
johnggrg

Padded Rifle Sling Question

About to make a padded rifle sling and hada couple of questions. First What would be the BEST thickness leather to use? Also when making the pad part of the sling. How long do you make the pad? I have never made one before but got a pattern and going to try it. Any and all help would be greatly apreciated. Thank you. john

I think username MADMAX22 makes the nicest I have seen, you may ask him what he uses or do a search for some eye candy.

I use 8-10 oz as even with the smallest solid chicago screws they won't tighten up on two layers of lighter leather. The pad is personal preference - I just try to cover the shoulder.

post-19170-098293000 1335354556_thumb.jp

post-19170-034900400 1335354560_thumb.jp

post-19170-000144900 1335354564_thumb.jp

post-19170-044598400 1335354569_thumb.jp

Eaglestroker thank you for the reply. Those slings look really nice. When applying the pad and suede or other material on to the sling What is your aproach to triming it to fit the rifle sling? Just wondering cause I've never did it before. John

Eaglestroker thank you for the reply. Those slings look really nice. When applying the pad and suede or other material on to the sling What is your aproach to triming it to fit the rifle sling? Just wondering cause I've never did it before. John

John,

I always use split pigskins as its very lightweight. The thicker the material the more hassle it is getting the glue to hold. I use contact cement to attach the neoprene pad, then the same to attach the pad, then stitch. I ordered a large quantity of the neoprene and would be happy to send you a small piece to try. After its stitched I go back and trim the excess material close to the stitching. I mark the stitch line and use my awl to mark the bottom corners and top of the arc to locate the pad, which is only slightly smaller than the area.

Hope this helps!

-Robert

Robert thank you for the help. Sure I was just wondering where to find the neoprene pad. That is very generous of you to offer the pad. I would greatly appreciate that. John

John,

I always use split pigskins as its very lightweight. The thicker the material the more hassle it is getting the glue to hold. I use contact cement to attach the neoprene pad, then the same to attach the pad, then stitch. I ordered a large quantity of the neoprene and would be happy to send you a small piece to try. After its stitched I go back and trim the excess material close to the stitching. I mark the stitch line and use my awl to mark the bottom corners and top of the arc to locate the pad, which is only slightly smaller than the area.

Hope this helps!

-Robert

Edited by johnggrg