Sign in to follow this  
azrider

Craigslist Score!

I just picked up a group of tools off Craigslist for $175. It included over 50 of the old crafttools that don't have the letters in front of them, an old CS Osborne round knife from Newark with a star on maker's mark, a bunch of punches and creasers, and five swivel knives, including one marked "Paris-Cario De Gervais Freres Los Angeles" and a ruby blade, but its chipped. I spent 45 minutes cleaning up and sharpinging the round knife, and don't think I will be reaching for my Stohlman one any time soon.

Is there any guide of how to tell how old the crafttools or the round knife are? Has anyone heard of the maker of the swivel knife?

I just picked up a group of tools off Craigslist for $175. It included over 50 of the old crafttools that don't have the letters in front of them, an old CS Osborne round knife from Newark with a star on maker's mark, a bunch of punches and creasers, and five swivel knives, including one marked "Paris-Cario De Gervais Freres Los Angeles" and a ruby blade, but its chipped. I spent 45 minutes cleaning up and sharpinging the round knife, and don't think I will be reaching for my Stohlman one any time soon.

Is there any guide of how to tell how old the crafttools or the round knife are? Has anyone heard of the maker of the swivel knife?

Wyoming Slick has written an ebay guide on Craftools

Very Very Short version:

Craftool Co, no number... 1950 or before

Craftool Co, number only... prior to 1953 and thereabouts

Craftool Co, letter and number... '63 to '68

Craftool USA... after '69

Wyoming can give much, much greater detail than I, so I defer to his expertise & knowledge :notworthy: .

russ

congrats!

Thank you for the info, Whinewine and Wyoming Slick. I knew I had read it, but couldn't find the thread it came from. Thanks King's X. I have had zero luck searching for the swivel knife maker either on here or google. I attached a picture of the round knife. I cleaned all the crud off it, and spent some time with my stones and a strop. If it hold the edge it already has I am going to love this knife.

I did find this link, which implies that the knife might be 1890's. http://www.etsy.com/...ing_id=37623651 Can anyone confirm that, or point me to a sourse that isn't trying to sell the item in question?

I have gone through half the scraps in my bin tonight playing with all these tools. thumbsup.gif

round knife.JPG

post-7753-126767411012_thumb.jpg

Edited by azrider

I also have 2 swivel knives and it came with multiple blades that are crystal blades. They are really cool but like you, no idea anymore than the markings on swivel knives themselves. If anyone finds out more please let us know! Thanks Standing Bear Woman.

I also have 2 swivel knives and it came with multiple blades that are crystal blades. They are really cool but like you, no idea anymore than the markings on swivel knives themselves. If anyone finds out more please let us know! Thanks Standing Bear Woman.

Your calling them "crystal blades" piqued my interest. Any chance that they are blue saphire blades? In the very old leather magazines there are advertisements for such blades, and yet I have never seen one for sale on eBay or anywhere else. If yours are such, I would love to see a pic or two??

Your calling them "crystal blades" piqued my interest. Any chance that they are blue saphire blades? In the very old leather magazines there are advertisements for such blades, and yet I have never seen one for sale on eBay or anywhere else. If yours are such, I would love to see a pic or two??

No problem I have several sizes and they are really beautiful. They carve quite nicely. I still prefer my ceramic blades but the crystals are useable. I have to set them up tomorrow and photo them then I will send you some pics. I really scored buying an estate so I even got all 3 Stohlman encyclopedias, leather bound and numbered #115 of 300. I'll share my pics but I am not selling. I enjoy talking to folks with the same interests as mine and my hubby. I'll message you tomorrow evening lots to do during the day. Blessings to you. Always, Standing Bear Woman