REDTAILHAWK

Old Leatherworker Might Attempt First Motorcycle Seat

I have done lots of leatherwork for a lot of years, but haven't tried a motorcycle seat before. I don't work with steelwork so I'd have to buy the seat pan. I was wondering if anyone here has ever tried one of the seat kits from Hammer In Hand Company? http://hammerinhandcycles.com/Parts.html They sell a kit with pre-cut leather parts, leather bottom piece pre-attached to the seat pan, pre- shaped closed cell foam pad, leather stamps and tools, lacing, dyes, finishes, tracing film, and even wool daubers. Since I already have the tools, dyes, and stuff, they also sell a refill kit. Which is what I was thinking about starting with. Any thoughts? Thanks

Lots of $$$$ for the kit! Just buy a seat pan (www.accufast2d.net) and make it. You've done leather work for years, you shouldn't have a problem. You might ask if Accufast could weld the mounts for you. Good luck!

Ya they do make a nice kit but more for the guy who hasn't done leather work...

Just get the pan... I have some and sell them if you want.

I've used 1/2" up to 1". I'm sure you could use 2" but remember you have to mold around that height. This seat is 1"

post-19391-0-55346600-1362952055_thumb.j

Y-Knot Lace. If I cover the bottom with leather I don't rivet. I glue it on and the lace holds the rest. Haven't had a problem not riveting.

Cool, thanks. I'll check them out. I was thinking about making the bottom full size and to avoid the riveting, just hadn't heard anyone doing that before. You have recommended Foamforyou.com in one of your other posts that I've read, neoprene regular or high quality?

I always get the best neoprene...I think the cost is really not that much considering how many seats you can get from a 1/2 sheet.

Not sure if it's actually closed cell neoprene or not, but I bought some foam padding a while back at Lowes. The kind that is used at stores for cashiers to stand on. I ran it on a Yamaha chop with NO cover. I just used double sided tape to hold it to the made in Taiwan seat pan that came with the bike and away I went. It has now been on that seat pan and is dealing with my friend's rump and is still holding up great. If I remember correctly it was a bit on the thin side, but could always be layered. It also had a ribbed texture to one side, so maybe face two ribbed pieces towards each other when layering to get a smooth finish that wouldn't affect the leather seat?

Sorry for not getting back, I work another job during the day...You're talking about the photo I posted? Apparently not enough according to some comments. I'll message you.

Benlilly1,

Have you ever tried the Biltwell seat pan that comes with the foam padding ready to go? http://www.biltwelli...oduct_list&c=28 Just checking. Looks like their seat pan would be quite a bit sturdier than just a flat plate.

The Biltwell pans are pretty nice. But, I just got some accufast2d seatpans too (the same ones Benlilly uses) and they're solid too. It's 10 Gauge steel, so it's not going anywhere. In fact, I just did a price calculation for how much I have into each seat including the pans, foam, leather, and 1/4" roo lace. The total came up to $70 per seat (estimating a little high in some areas) assuming I can get 8 seats out of the foam. My math has always sucked and I'm pulling the seat measurements from memory, so it's either 6 or 8 seats per half-sheet of 3/4" neoprene. But, either way, that's cheaper than the Biltwell kit. You can't go wrong with them though. I haven't made any solo seats yet, but I've sat on a LOT of them :)

Cyberthrasher, Your estimating is real close to mine so your memory hasn't failed you! We've been waiting to see your solo seats! :yes:

Cyberthrasher, Your estimating is real close to mine so your memory hasn't failed you! We've been waiting to see your solo seats! :yes:

:rofl:

Finally got the pans, foam is on order, now I just have to get a break in the guitar strap orders to sit down and get some going!!!

I just have to hope I have enough 1/4" lace left to get at least one of them done ;)

Thanks for the information Cyberthrasher. That was pretty much what i was doing too since I am deciding whether or not to get into making` bike seats, and which way to start if I do decide to. Adding up the costs of the needed items versus the time it would take to do all the trimming and stuff myself. Plus in your totals don't forget to add in the shipping charges you had to pay to get your supplies, which is really ridiculous. Shipping is almost equal to the value of the items I am having shipped anymore.

Plus in your totals don't forget to add in the shipping charges you had to pay to get your supplies, which is really ridiculous. Shipping is almost equal to the value of the items I am having shipped anymore.

Are you overseas? Accufast2D shipped my pans flat rate. It was $20 shipping for 5 pans. But yeah, I did count my shipping charges into everything. It was just funny that this came up at that time since I was at my day job and someone had asked me about a half hour earlier how much I had into each seat, so I estimated everything up the best I could from memory.

I get all of my leather and lace from Springfield, which helps since single sourcing stuff really cuts down on shipping when you get it all at once. But, it looks like they're cutting back on the 1/4" (I haven't asked what their stock is aside from what's online), but y-knot is about the same price and they're pretty close to me, so shipping shouldn't time shouldn't be too bad.

I've been trying to get into seats since I started, but then my guitar strap requests really took off and I'm only just now getting around to the motorcycle side of the business.

Redtail where are you?

I'm in Peoria, Illinois. I was mainly talking about the shipping charges of foam from Foamforyou. I was looking at their price chart of regular neoprene. It was like $12 shipping for a piece of foam that costs $18 or something like that. I emailed them to get prices on the high quality neoprene yesterday, but haven't heard back. I also emailed Accufast2d and Y-knotLace for some info but haven't heard back from them either. I have a Tandy Leather that is in Peoria, so the leather wouldn't be getting shipped, but everything else will need to be.

I've learned that calling is better than e-mailing. Here's Todd's (Accufast) number 931-639-7781. I always call Foamforyou too for info. They also have fast shipping.