Schno

finger cut patterns

Try as I might, I just can't seem to find the right recipe of words to put into Google to find good swivel knife/finger cut patterns. You know, those marvelously symmetrical swirlies for which so many people seem to have a natural knack. Well, I ain't one of 'em. I start doodling and trying stuff out and it all ends up a big pile of... well, it isn't anything I want to disgrace a dead cow's hide with. So, my search is on and coming up empty so far. Any resources out there?

Try "Calligraphic ornaments" for the real fancy stuff. I have the Dover book with that name, and it's been a great source of frustration for my ham fisted self. Just can't get the gentle touch needed.

You might also think about subscribing to Leather Crafter's & Saddler's Journal. They have swivel knife doodles in just about every issue. (Too bad they aren't a part of our corporate/sponsorship family..........yet).

Schno

How about something like this... I got this one from a Chan Geer swivel knife class

It's pretty simple just trace it out on some damp leather and cut cut cut!

Happy tooling

Tim

scan 091309.bmp

scan 091309.bmp

Schno,

I get a lot a material and ideas by Googling for "line art".

Bobby

Okay, I'm gonna tell y'all a little story on me that's going to make everybody who's ever had a problem with swivel knives feel a lot better about themselves.

Back in '69 I started this trade with a feed store scrap bundle and a Barlow pocketknife. Later in life, I moved up to saddle maker scraps and a Schrade Waldon knife.

Then in 1991 I decided to get professional about this and went down to a Tandy Dealer (location un-named to prevent a lawsuit.)I walked in and told the lady that I needed a professional knife for cuting leather. She gladly went and got a swivel knife and said "This will do the trick."

I stood there looking at for a moment and said "This is what the pros use?" to which she replied "Yep, this is the one."

So I took it home and spent 15 minutes trying to cut a strap from a piece of 10 ounce leather for a project I was working on. Afterwards, I went to Home Depot and bought a utility knife to finish the project.

Feel better?

Edited by Jim

Okay, I'm gonna tell y'all a little story on me that's going to make everybody who's ever had a problem with swivel knives feel a lot better about themselves.

Back in '69 I started this trade with a feed store scrap bundle and a Barlow pocketknife. Later in life, I moved up to saddle maker scraps and a Schrade Waldon knife.

Then in 1991 I decided to get professional about this and went down to a Tandy Dealer (location un-named to prevent a lawsuit.)I walked in and told the lady that I needed a professional knife for cuting leather. She gladly went and got a swivel knife and said "This will do the trick."

I stood there looking at for a moment and said "This is what the pros use?" to which she replied "Yep, this is the one."

So I took it home and spent 15 minutes trying to cut a strap from a piece of 10 ounce leather for a project I was working on. Afterwards, I went to Home Depot and bought a utility knife to finish the project.

Feel better?

smile.gif That was a good story! Thanks for sharing that!

Crystal

Yep, we've all been there, Jim! If I can stop laughing, maybe I can type. I worked for Tandy and discovered some people set rivets with a setter and an anvil. I thought it was done with a bottlecap and hammer.

Try Googling Pennsylvania Dutch Art. Alot of it can be easily embellished for a fancier look.

Johanna

try these under google as Hidepounder suggested. You'll be surprised what you find. When you get their click on the Images button (top right corner). Go to town. Good luck

Line art designs

Line art tutorial

Line art free

Line art drawings

Better yet try this one!

Line Art Scrolls

Edited by King's X

Try as I might, I just can't seem to find the right recipe of words to put into Google to find good swivel knife/finger cut patterns. You know, those marvelously symmetrical swirlies for which so many people seem to have a natural knack. Well, I ain't one of 'em. I start doodling and trying stuff out and it all ends up a big pile of... well, it isn't anything I want to disgrace a dead cow's hide with. So, my search is on and coming up empty so far. Any resources out there?

Hey Wayne @ Standing Bears did one for the local guild, since your a member you should stop by there and see if you can get a copy of it.

Yep, we've all been there, Jim! If I can stop laughing, maybe I can type. I worked for Tandy and discovered some people set rivets with a setter and an anvil. I thought it was done with a bottlecap and hammer.

Try Googling Pennsylvania Dutch Art. Alot of it can be easily embellished for a fancier look.

Johanna

Yeah but knowing the bottle cap and hammer can come in real handy when some sob at a fayre wanders off with your setter and anvil! next time I am screwing the ..... thing down