dakotawolf

Can Anyone Id These Tools?

I put an ad on the local craigslist for leather tools. I have had good luck so far. The most recent response offered the tools in the photos below. Can anyone help me figure out what they are. I'm guessing two of them are arbor presses. I wonder if the presses are compatible with craft tool stamps? The other two items, that sort of resemble pliers, I have no idea about.

post-46186-0-23491300-1397824336_thumb.j

post-46186-0-46847900-1397824361_thumb.j

They are all presses for setting snaps, rivets etc. Before buying them determine what size dies they will accommodate and make sure dies are readily available. Something to be aware of. I bought a press similar to what is there for only $10.00 however each st of dies for line 24 snaps, rivets etc. cost over $40.00. The two smaller plier like tools are hand setters or hand presses again for setting snaps etc.

post-15001-0-20678100-1397828712_thumb.p

Edited by camano ridge

Thank you for your response. I think I will politely tell him I'll have to pass. All my riveting needs are being met with a hand riveter and maul for the foreseeable future.

You just got some wrong information there. The two smaller items are tools for setting the teeth on saws, primarily woodsaws and have nothing to do with setting snaps or rivets.

After looking at the picture again and a little closer, I would haev to agree with WYo, they probably are for straightening saw teeth especially the top one. However the two larger are definately hand presses for rivets, snaps etc.

After looking at the picture again and a little closer, I would haev to agree with WYo, they probably are for straightening saw teeth especially the top one. However the two larger are definately hand presses for rivets, snaps etc.

There is no "probably" about it. They are definately for setting saw teeth. And not for straightening them, but rather for setting them at a slight angle so that the teeth are cutting a slightly larger kerf than the thickness of the saw blade which helps to keep the saw from binding in the cut.