jshill

Best Method To Cut Internal Holes And Finish The Edges

Hi just wondering if any one has some good advice on cutting and finishing internal holes. For instance this half inch square I have drawn on a piece of scrap leather.

WP_20150222_001_zpslrfuftpc.jpg

I normally start by making an internal whole for each corner with a round bladed awl before cutting from one hole to another I find this prevents over/under cutting and means the internal piece falls out neatly. I'm having trouble using an edging tool and a slicker to finish the internal edge as good as my outside edges, mostly due to the hole being so small and not being able to run tools/glass ect down the edge as I would on an outside one.

Any tips and tricks would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

I picked up on ebay some small edge bevelers pretty cheap. http://www.ebay.com/itm/U-V-Shaped-Stitching-Groover-Skiving-Edge-Beveler-Leathercraft-Leather-Tool-Kit-/181473645114?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2a40ac123a They will work for the small area. Be careful they are sharp and can remove a fair amount of material quickly.

As to burnishing the inside edges, get a small diameter hardwood dowel sand different sized grooves into the dowel. Now either rub the dowel against the edges by hand or chuck the dowel in a drill motor and burnish the edges.

Edited by camano ridge

I picked up on ebay some small edge bevelers pretty cheap. http://www.ebay.com/itm/U-V-Shaped-Stitching-Groover-Skiving-Edge-Beveler-Leathercraft-Leather-Tool-Kit-/181473645114?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2a40ac123a They will work for the small area. Be careful they are sharp and can remove a fair amount of material quickly.

As to burnishing the inside edges, get a small diameter hardwood dowel sand different sized grooves into the dowel. Now either rub the dowel against the edges by hand or chuck the dowel in a drill motor and burnish the edges.

Hi Camano thanks for your advice. I will give it a go.

I have also found (mostly by bad experience) that I can about 99% of the time NOT need a hole with square corners. Slightly rounded corners work in just about everything I do.

That said, . . . I use a round punch to do all four corners, . . . then connect the cutting like you talked about with the awl. The punch actually starts that burnishing process in the corners, . . . by compressing the leather there, . . . and using a little burnisher I made by putting a 1/2 inch dowell on a 1/8 in drill bit (long ways), . . . and by notching it, . . . I can burnish those little holes very well.

I couldn't find the pictures I have of them, . . . so here is a little drawing that shows kinda what it looks like.

The 1/8 inch drill bit fits exactly in my Dremel, . . . works like a champ. I drilled the dowell, . . . glued the drill bit in, . . . put it in the dremel, . . . turned on the dremel, . . . and used it like a little wood lathe, . . . taking out the grooves and shaping it with files, etc.

May God bless,

Dwight

burnish tool.bmp

Edited by Dwight

On squares I go at it a little differ I cut cross corners making a X then cut the line and I have some very old burnishing sticks that are flat to get into the corners with. Just try differ things till you find the best way for you.

How about getting a 1/2" square tubing and sharpen it? I would sharpen it on both sides or just as needed. Question would be if burnishing is still required then.

Hi, thanks for all the advice I'll give most of them a go.

Cheers