David8386

Advice On Sewing Machines

I am looking at buying a leather sewing machine. Mostly for belts, guitar straps, chaps, maybe a holster or sheath down the road. Three I am looking at are a singer 7-11, singer 331k105, and an Adler 37 -26. These are local machines that I can play with before i buy, but I was wondering if anyone could tell me the capabilities on them and any recommendations on them. Thanks

David

I am looking at buying a leather sewing machine. Mostly for belts, guitar straps, chaps, maybe a holster or sheath down the road. Three I am looking at are a singer 7-11, singer 331k105, and an Adler 37 -26. These are local machines that I can play with before i buy, but I was wondering if anyone could tell me the capabilities on them and any recommendations on them. Thanks

David

Hi, non of these machines are leather machines. The Adler class 37 are all tailor machines, the subclass -26 has alternating pressers and is made for sewing rubberized fabrics. The Singer 331 is bottom feed machine for fabrics too, and is not suitable for sewing leather. The Singer class 7-11 was made for sewing paper for the book industry. However the Singer class 7 is a very powerful machine, in the old days many of these was altered to leather machines. It was mostly the 7-33 and 31 (I believe) who has alternating pressers. They still have to big and clumsy foots to be any useful.

The answer to your question, about what kind of machine you need to sew leather is answered in the pinned posts top of this forum.

Good luck

Tor

Thanks for answering, I had looked in the pinned posts and could not find these specific numbers listed anywhere. You told me what I needed to know about them. I will keep looking.

David

The 331 is essentially a 31 class with a "modernised" body and while not ideal for leather are one of the better straight sewers for light leather.

Thanks for answering, I had looked in the pinned posts and could not find these specific numbers listed anywhere. You told me what I needed to know about them. I will keep looking.

David

You will not find "specific numbers" in those post other than on some few heavy stitcher's. These are clone machines made in China. You will find the type of machine you need to sew leather in general; such as machine class and type of feed.

Which brand who has these classes you got to find out yourself or ask in the forum.

What kind of work are you going to do, thickness and thread class. And whats your budget. If you let us in on these questions, we will be able to point you in the right direction.

When you look at the Internet you will find allot of cheap industrial machines everywhere. They are often cheap because they are not useful on leather. Those who are will achieve a higher marked price.

Look for machine with triple feed (compound bottom, top and needle feed with alternating pressers) preferable a cylinder bed who takes heavy thread and are capable of sewing 3/8 of and inch or more. Triple feed classes with vertical rotating hook that sews up to 3/8" is called the upholstery class (threads up to tex 270).

Classes who are able to sew more than a 1/2 " with heavy threads (more than tex 350) are called heavy stitcher's. These comes in different feeds, from bottom feed to triple feed. The triple feed heavy stitcher's are all expensive and fairly new.

Good luck

Tor

I am going to do guitar straps, belts, chaps, probably some purses, and items like that. The thickest I would probably need would be less than 3/8" and most of the work would be lined guitar straps and belts. I really don't know what size thread and needle at this time. I am just getting started in the hobby phase but want the capability to move up to production runs down the road if everything goes well. My price range is 750 to 1250 give or take a little. I am staying away from the Internet sales besides what is here on the forum and these machines that I have found are at a leather company that I buy supplies from here in Amarillo. I will go back and see what else he has in the triple feed machines

Thanks for the info.

David

I am going to do guitar straps, belts, chaps, probably some purses, and items like that. The thickest I would probably need would be less than 3/8" and most of the work would be lined guitar straps and belts. I really don't know what size thread and needle at this time. I am just getting started in the hobby phase but want the capability to move up to production runs down the road if everything goes well. My price range is 750 to 1250 give or take a little. I am staying away from the Internet sales besides what is here on the forum and these machines that I have found are at a leather company that I buy supplies from here in Amarillo. I will go back and see what else he has in the triple feed machines

Thanks for the info.

David

Then you will do with what I call the upholstery class triple feed. You can get a new Chinese clone machine for around 1200 $. Check out or member dealers, give them a free call. (Banner top site, you can trust them) The best thing would be a cylinder bed, you can add a wooden table to it and it becomes a flat bed. Check the used for sale section.

Good luck

Tor