wlg190861

Pull-Up Leather

I am hoping someone here could explain, What is pull-up leather, How is it tanned, Is it strong leather, what is it mainly used for ?

Dan

Seems the hipsters like it. lol. Another thing that can happen is non dipped dyed articles can get a similar pull up and wear to them I notice it with some of my dye styles. Struck through leather won't do it, as it's the same color through out. But a more surface dyed leather can get a pull up.

BTW, some of it is quite beautiful stuff. My distributor works on a lot of it and posts pics. Nice stuff.

nstarleather, on 13 Oct 2015 - 06:53 AM, said:

Leather that's been treated with waxes and oils that move around in the leather and cause the color to change with wear and handling. Literally if you "pull up" on the leather it will lighten. The waxes do return some to where they've moved from and the color can even back out some with time, but it can also keep some of the changes giving a distressed look and light spots where the item gets constant wear.

Horween's Chromexcel is most famous of Pullup leathers, it's combination tanned (chrome-tanned and then Veg {I thing}) feels very nice and waxy. I've also handled lots of pullup upholstery leather, same color changing look, not sure how it's tanned.

The wear/tear of them seems in line with any other quality leather. My personal observation to what I've worked with is that they can be a little more stretchy than other leathers.

Originally Chromexcel was used in Tanks as a leather that could take a lot of abuse and wouldn't really absorb as much water/oil etc. Now pullup is really just a cool look, and you'll find it in everything from bags to wallets to couches.

Hope that helps a bit.

Yes all the feedback is very helpful. I like to know the opinion of others before I buy something I know nothing about. In my book, the only dumb question is the one you don't ask