This was a custom order I finished recently. The customer wanted a notebook with a turkey and a deer carving on it because her husband likes to hunt both animals in Kansas. She also wanted turkey tracks to appear on it somehow. Finally it needed the message 'Love Mom, 2015' inside because it was really going to be a birthday gift from his Mom to her husband and she was just organizing it. Sound complicated enough? After a few practice carvings to get the turkey and landscape right, this is what I came up with. Apparently the husband was thrilled with it.

post-15714-0-39282200-1444761688_thumb.jpost-15714-0-87501100-1444761833_thumb.jpost-15714-0-28220000-1444761848_thumb.j

That is fantastic work. Love your carvings and I would say this is a very professionally done piece.

Bob that is a fantastic job. Cheryl

Thank you all! It took a lot of practice tries to get it to where I thought it was passable. I'd never carved a turkey before and it took a lot of work to get the feathers to look right.

That looks great, I love the detail.

Mark

very nice detail, you should be proud of your work

One o' those turkey notebook covers would be totally perfect for anybody trying to read my turkey-scratch handwriting! I love the tracks inside.

Beautiful work on both of them, Bob!

Thanks all, I really like figure carving just don't get many requests to do it.

Very nice!

I'm simply speechless!

Thanks all, you are very kind.

Very nice! I haven't actually seen very many examples of figure carving, so it was educational to see all the details.

Beautiful work! I don't suppose you would mind sharing where you found the tooling pattern or did you sketch it out yourself?

I have a customer who wants a tri-fold wallet tooled in something nice for her husband who loves to hunt deer and turkey. :)