raWorkshope

Converting A Lockstich Machine To An Awl Punching Machine

I have some repetitive stress injuries in my back and punching holes is the step that aggravates it the most. Is it possible to convert a lockstitch machine to an awl puncher only? I have a 111w155 and I'd like to put a diamond awl in the needle bar to replace hand punching but so far it doesn't look like it'll fit. Any prior art on the scene?

It could be done and probably has but I would start with a machine that was designed to use a needle similar in size to the awl as the 111 was not really designed for the needle bar loads you are going to place on it. Something like a 45k25 is probably a better place to start.

Personally, I would opt to take a half dozen of your old needles, . . . take them to a local machine shop, . . . and have them sanded or ground down to similar specs as the awl you want to use.

You then should only have to remove the bobbin, . . . and you would be in the money. I often have to punch holes with my Tippmann Boss and hand stitch the area because my throat clearance is very limited. It works well for that.

The Boss is of course hand operated, also, which makes it really nice when I want to space those stitches a certain way.

May God bless,

Dwight

I sometimes use my Cowboy CB4500 to punch holes for small rivets in belts and wristbands. I use the largest needle I can get, which right now is a #27 diamond point. I set the stitch length to maximum, which is about 2 to the inch. I am thinking about having a bigger awl made to fit my machine, which would only be limited by the hole in the inside foot. It would have to be short enough to not hit the hook, but long enough to penetrate the leather. A 3/32" diameter awl should do the trick.

I tend to get caught up in lovely technical solutions to problems.

Your suggestion reminds me of the story of the truck carrying a tractor that got stuck under a bridge. A ten year old bystander asks "why are they letting the air out of the truck tyres?" A nearby adult pats him patronizingly on the head and says "So the load can clear the overpass sonny". Ten year old replies " Well why not let the air out of the tractor tyres?"

I sometimes use my Cowboy CB4500 to punch holes for small rivets in belts and wristbands. I use the largest needle I can get, which right now is a #27 diamond point. I set the stitch length to maximum, which is about 2 to the inch. I am thinking about having a bigger awl made to fit my machine, which would only be limited by the hole in the inside foot. It would have to be short enough to not hit the hook, but long enough to penetrate the leather. A 3/32" diameter awl should do the trick.

Because the tractor tires are filled with fluid for weight and traction.

It's like the joke i heard. Two guys were trying to lead their mule into the barn, but his ears would touch the top of the door and he would back out. The two guys got togeather and decided to raise the barn up a few inches. A neighbor came by and asked what they were doing the two guys told the neighbor about the mules ears touching. After hearing why, the neighbor said why not dig a small trench and lead the mule in. The two guys laughed and told their neighbor how dumb he was, saying it's his ears that are to long not his legs. Same moral.

Yes, we are blinded by our own prejudices. Your tag line says it all.

Because the tractor tires are filled with fluid for weight and traction.

It's like the joke i heard. Two guys were trying to lead their mule into the barn, but his ears would touch the top of the door and he would back out. The two guys got togeather and decided to raise the barn up a few inches. A neighbor came by and asked what they were doing the two guys told the neighbor about the mules ears touching. After hearing why, the neighbor said why not dig a small trench and lead the mule in. The two guys laughed and told their neighbor how dumb he was, saying it's his ears that are to long not his legs. Same moral.

I was serious about using my Cowboy as a punching machine. I just didn't tell the whole story.

The #27 needle pokes an impressive hole in the leather, but not one quite big enuf to push a rivet through (from the bottom). I still have to open the holes from the bottom with my modeling tool, or an awl. What the machine does best is to punch the holes equally spaced, at the distance from the edge set by my edge guide. This in itself saves me a lot layout time. Opening up the holes goes a lot quicker since they are already there, just undersized.

Some shops have the room and funds to buy a hole punching machine. Others don't. I fit the second category.

That's all I have to say about tha-at.

Hmmmm,

My riveter, pushes the rivets right through the leather, they cut their own holes. I like the idea of the self feed, but we do 3/4 inch on belts, 1/2 inch might work on some of our fetish gear though, but a dedicated machine is better for us. I would take it slow with the awl holes, the awl could get right hot if you go fast.

Art