Toolster

New Tippman Boss Bottom Stitches..help Please!

I'm new to LW.net and have a brand new "Boss" but I'm not sure if the love affair will continue if I can't get the bottom stitches to look better. The pics show the top and bottom of a belt I've just stitched. IMHO the top is great for a first effort but the bottom has much to be desired. I've set the thread tension per the video (and experimented) and the bobbin tension is about (as far as I can "feel") is 1# or less. I'm using 277 thread and a 200 chisel point needle per the manual. I wind my bobbins slowly with a Singer bobbin winder which does a fine job so I don't think uneven bobbin winding is an issue. Any suggestions? I do love being able to place every stitch slowly and accurately and since my job (retail construction) requires constant travel I love the small footprint of the Boss but I've only had it two weeks (it could go back to Tippman under the 30 day return policy). I do own a trailer that I could make room in for a Cobra or Cowboy if necessary......

post-49441-0-47154600-1392073696_thumb.j

post-49441-0-93387900-1392073698_thumb.j

I was going to buy a tippman boss until I read all the bad stories, quite like the one your telling. If you can get your money back, I would before it's too late.

Post this in SEWING MACHINES more response I cant help sorry!

Posting in sewing machines is good idea. Also call Tipmman and email them a picture to look at. I can't tell for sure from the picture it almost looks like your tension might be a little to tight. You will find there are two types of People those that love the Boss and those that hate the Boss. There are people on thiese forums that use the Boss and are happy with it.

I'm new to LW.net and have a brand new "Boss" but I'm not sure if the love affair will continue if I can't get the bottom stitches to look better. The pics show the top and bottom of a belt I've just stitched.

I moved this to leather sewing machines for you as suggested by others. Hope you are okay with the move.

Tom

The Boss is a great machine but it has to be adjusted properly. Some of it like the bobbin tension is "feel" and the set up guide is a "starting point", I would call Tippman, they can help. One good note, once you get it adjusted, it sews great. I don't use mine a lot, I hand sew mostly, but when I do use it, it sews really nice. Wasn't always like that I got very frustrated when I first bought it, but it finally won me over.

Chief

Let me know how you turn out on this. I've been fighting the same issue since March of 2013, and have learned to live with it. I make leather holsters, so I can work out the 'wrinkles' when I wet form and everything is ok after that.

Let me know if you come up with a solution. Tippmann was very helpful in aiding me in the setup and adjustment of the machine, but I have been too busy to even think about calling them back for a 'fix' to the 'ugly bottom stitch' issue.

Camano Ridge, I believe you are correct. After a lengthy conversation with Jamie @ Tippmann I dropped almost all the bobbin tension and some of the needle tension and it's doing much better tonight! :notworthy:

For a while, . . . I would take pieces of the exact same leather I was getting ready to sew, . . . and would finagle with the settings until I got it just "right".

Problem was, . . . sometimes even then it would have bad areas on the underneath side.

I finally went back and reviewed my John Bianchi notes, . . . he promoted using a stitch tool to flatten the stitches, . . . his was a bunch more fancy than mine, . . . but you can betcha mine works.

After I get done sewing, . . . I'll just dampen that area, . . . go over the stitches with my home made tool, . . . they improve immensely.

BUT, . . . having said all that, . . . don't ever think that the Boss will give you stitches equal looking to a top notch hand stitching job, . . . ain't gonna happen.

And as a suggestion, . . . come in a little further on your belt, . . . you were really close to the edge there, . . . and that will make them also look bad.

May God bless,

Dwight

post-6728-0-49895000-1392162986_thumb.jp

post-6728-0-45265800-1392163000_thumb.jp

Edited by Dwight

Thanks Dwight, I try to stitch 1/8" from the edge, is this too close or just too close for the "Boss"?

Jon

I have one of those cheap stitch groovers from Tandy http://www.tandyleatherfactory.com/en-usd/search/searchresults/8074-00.aspx that I use on all my outside stitches for wallets, belts, suspenders, holsters, . . . virtually everything.

It is set at a good, full 3/16th of an inch, . . . and I took a little hand grinder and cut off the excess sticking out the side, . . . that way I will always have a perfect reference to where it should be. There is a little brass screw in the end to facilitate adjustment, . . . I just boogered it down tight.

Take a look on my website, . . . you can see how it looks on the front side, . . . and I've never had any issues with the stitches pulling out sideways or anything.

I think John Bianchi may have mentioned that spacing in his video, . . . I got it from somewhere, . . . have used it for a number of years, . . . works for me.

May God bless,

Dwight

RoosterShooter it appears my "Boss" likes "no bobbin tension" and very little needle tension. I'll post some pics this coming weekend if I can get time to try another stitching project. :dance: We shall see.....

Thanks. I might have to give that a try. As it sits right now I have the tension pretty tight on both.

Different chisel needles have different points.

Check out the PDF attached to this post. It really explains all the needle types for leather. With great pictures of what the top side stitch looks like. Worth having.

I use 794-LR-200 for 277 thread because I like the look both top and bottom of the leather.

needle patterns with examples S LL LR ETC V2.pdf

I had that problem an it is from the top tension being to tight. I agree though you would b a lot happier with a CowBoy an a generator on your trailer. I have a CB4500 an love it. you can sew as slow or as fast as you want

post-39507-0-81224900-1392234839_thumb.j