TrooperChuck

Hardware for Rifle Slings?

I have a customer who is a big game hunter in Alaska. He wants some leather rifle slings made. He likes the military style with the brass double hooks on the ends. (Are these called frogs?)

Does anyone know where I can order these?

Thanks,

Chuck

Since no one seems to know where I can order these brass hook-things, I guess I'll have to try to make them myself.

and then there is Ohio Travel Bag. they have them

Hi Chuck,

Sometimes Siegel has them, where are you located and how many do you need?

Art

Since no one seems to know where I can order these brass hook-things, I guess I'll have to try to make them myself.

Hi Chuck

I was asked a couple of weeks ago to make two 1861 Enfield Musket Slings. They have the single brass hook. I looked all over the globe for the hooks to no avail. My Husband ended up making some up from brass strap. Please let me know if you have any luck sourcing them.

DJ

Chuck, if you havent already found the hooks Ryans Products have them. Snap hooks and metal hardware - Sam Browne Hardware.

DJ

I have a customer who is a big game hunter in Alaska. He wants some leather rifle slings made. He likes the military style with the brass double hooks on the ends. (Are these called frogs?)

Thanks,

Chuck

I don't know about the size, strength of those at OTB, but those at Ryan's to are too flimsy; they're like those you'll see on Uncle Mikes stuff. I've yet to find a sturdy brass sling hook. Brownell's has them, but they aren't brass, and they are painted black. They are stout - search for competition sling hooks.

Thanks for the suggestions, folks. Didn't mean to be anti-social, but I've been away for a couple weeks and just now got a chance to check the forum.

Hi Chuck,

The brass hooks are always a little lighter duty than the black G.I. ones. The G.I. hooks are .1 inch in thickness and the nice shiny brass ones are .062 inch. They are relatively identical and fit the holes, the G.I. ones are a bear to get in and out of the holes on stiff veg tan, the brass ones are easier.

Art

Thanks for the suggestions, folks. Didn't mean to be anti-social, but I've been away for a couple weeks and just now got a chance to check the forum.

Thanks,

Chuck

Chuck,

I just found this post. I have a sack full of brass frogs that I got twenty or more years back. Just right for hunting slings, too light for high power competition slings. If you still need some, email: mikerock@mhtc.net.

Most respectfully,

Mike Rock

Rifle barrel maker