teddycrafts

Skiving Machine For Watchbands?

Recently i made a few stitchless crocodile watch bands, but unsuccessful at times. The problem is that crocodile skin breaks easiy if you are not careful with the skiving.

I broke some already, i need to make it thin for it to be folded to form the loop..... i am making 24mm-26mm straps for panerai and other big watches, thickness of glued cowhide and crocodile must form thickness of 1.6-1.8mm. Therefore, it will be close to watch case.

I am looking into skiving machine and don't know if it's possible to skive straps? For examle, my strap is 140mm long, and i need to skive the top 4cm to certain thiness.

I found an affordable chinese built skiving machine online, but i am afraid i am on my own to learn how to use it.

19mvc7.jpg

Or i might need a very sharp skiving knife, the skiving knife i use will stretch and change the shape of soft leather... as i am using calf skin for filling and backing.

Do you guys think this website is trusted? I am planning to order one.

http://www.handtools-uk.com/p1586-skiving-knife-osborne-ref-469b-uk-right-hand-us-left