Sign in to follow this  
JustWakinUp

eyeglass case

Wanted to try my hand at my new sewing machine. From this project I learned its hard to go around corners nicely. Also I'm not quite sure how to lock the thread. I go about 3-4 stitches forward then reverse those stitches then begin sewing normally until i get to the end where I do the same reverse technique, Is there something better I can do? I ended up putting together this eyeglass case for my mother while she was in town.

DSC06896.JPGAny critique is always welcome.

post-2546-1195186654_thumb.jpg

I like it,,but i have no advice cuz i don't know how to use a sewing machine.

wonder if a layer of felt on the inside might be an upgrade??

Wanted to try my hand at my new sewing machine. From this project I learned its hard to go around corners nicely. Also I'm not quite sure how to lock the thread. I go about 3-4 stitches forward then reverse those stitches then begin sewing normally until i get to the end where I do the same reverse technique, Is there something better I can do? I ended up putting together this eyeglass case for my mother while she was in town.

DSC06896.JPGAny critique is always welcome.

I'm sure your Mom will love the case! You did a great job!

What I do when I upholster a car seat is to begin my seam a few stitch lengths away from the beginning of the seam, and begin the seam by backstitching a few stitches (to the beginning), and then stitch the normal seam, and end with backstitching a few stitches. It keeps the seams looking neat, and adds the strength you need.

After backstitch, do you just cut flush? Do you use a dab of cement or anything to keep the thread end inplace?

After backstitch, do you just cut flush? Do you use a dab of cement or anything to keep the thread end inplace?

Sometimes I leave a long tag end on the thread, and after machine sewing, I thread a small needle with the tag end, and pull the tag end to the inside, so it does not show, and if possible clip it then. Most of the time, I just nip it off close. Don't know if this is right or wrong, just what I do.

I like it,,but i have no advice cuz i don't know how to use a sewing machine.

wonder if a layer of felt on the inside might be an upgrade??

There is a layer of material on the inside to keep the glasses safe.

yeah I just cut it flush by my backstitch wasn't coming out very nice on the reverse side of the project.

Going to try starting a few stitches down then backstitch like suggested ...Thanks guys

Try lightly setting the stitches with a hammer after sewing. This will make them look better and more even and will also seal the backstitch area so it won't come loose. I put the finish side down on my mable bench top and use a round faced hammer to tap the back of the stitches. You'll figure out how hard to tap real quick.

Hilly, looks good, Backstiching is done like it is supposed to be done.

going around coners?------ do you have an edge guide ?