Tried to search this but didn't find what I was looking for. I'm cutting belt slots in double layer 7/8 for OWB holsters and not having very good luck, I have tried using a round knife, razor knife and Exacto but I cannot get square sides/round ends or consistent results. What are some methods that work to give good, consistent slots? And how to burnish them?

Thx. jt

I eventually bought a slot punch. BUT, before that, Luke taught me to use a round punch on both ends and then razer knife each side (using steel rule). Give you a nice slot and doesn't even take much practice to get them right.

Regis

I sometimes use a round punch for the ends and then a wood chisel to cut between them to make the slots. It's okay using a 3/4" chisel - I don't know if a wider chisel would be better or worse.

Gary

Im with gary on this one. So far I picked up a pack of the assorted wood chisel (they are pretty heavy duty) and they will slice thru leather like noones business. Punch a hole at each end then use the chisel, I make sire the flat part of the chisel is pointed out toward the work.

THis isnt a perfect solution as I usually end up cleaning it up a tad with the xacto where the chisel and hole punch marks line up but other then that it looks pretty darn good.

I used to use a bag punch to punch my slots, but it was too narrow for gun belts as it was. I had to punch it twice and clean up the ends with a 3/8" hole punch before following it all with a 1/4" sanding drum to even things up. I finally ordered a slot punch from Texas Custom Dies in the dimensions I wanted, and I wish I would have done that a long time ago. It was worth twice the cost to save all that time!

I still do the round punch on the ends and a bag punch in the middle, twice. Bag punch is 1.25".

Anyway, I'm biding my time until I buy a good slot punch. I can't wrap my head around the cost of them though LOL

Might have to do like Jeff and get a custom one done so the width is there too.

I tried a chisel months ago and it seems to work okay. I just clean up the interior of the slot with a sander on a Dremel.

The specialty punches are best for volume production. For the occasional job, or hobbyist producing a holster for personal use, a sharp wood chisel and 1/4" round punch can produce neat clean slots quickly and easily.

After cutting run your edge beveler around the new edges, dampen the leather slightly, and burnish with a wooden dowel chucked into a drill press or drill.

Total process can be done in less time than it takes to describe it.

Thanks for all the replies :)...I tried the chisel and punch method and it turned out a perfect slot for me on the first try, with a little practice It should be quite acceptable. I can see where a slot punch would be a better alternative, I will order a few once I settle on some standard sizes. Now to do a few tests to see if it is better to stitch around the slot before or after cutting, or see if it makes any difference...

Thanks for all the replies :)...I tried the chisel and punch method and it turned out a perfect slot for me on the first try, with a little practice It should be quite acceptable. I can see where a slot punch would be a better alternative, I will order a few once I settle on some standard sizes. Now to do a few tests to see if it is better to stitch around the slot before or after cutting, or see if it makes any difference...

One aspect not mentioned yet: when cutting slots the required size can vary depending upon the angle of the belt as it passes through the slot. If the belt slot is cut exactly perpendicular to the axis of the belt, a 1.5" slot will be just right for a 1.5" belt. If the angle of the slot to the belt varies, the overall length of the slot will require adjustment.

For what it may be worth.

...If the belt slot is cut exactly perpendicular to the axis of the belt, a 1.5" slot will be just right for a 1.5" belt. If the angle of the slot to the belt varies, the overall length of the slot will require adjustment...For what it may be worth.

Yes, I learned that the hard way, as with most things I learn...as well as the thicker the belt the wider the slot needs to be, pretty much a trial and error thing. It occurs to me with a slot punch it would be fairly easy to make the slot a bit longer, less so to make it wider. The punch/chisel thing is working well after about ten pratice slots...

I have a 1.5 inch slot punch and honestly the thing is such a bear to hammer through two layers of leather that I've been using it to mark the slot and cutting it out with an xacto knife. It is also just barely wide enough for my gun belt.

I've recently purchased a 1.5 inch wood chisel and I'm hoping it will be easier to cut the slots with the round punch & chisel method. It will also give me the freedom to easily have longer or wider slots as needed.

Bronson

I have a 1.5 inch slot punch and honestly the thing is such a bear to hammer through two layers of leather that I've been using it to mark the slot and cutting it out with an xacto knife. It is also just barely wide enough for my gun belt.

I've recently purchased a 1.5 inch wood chisel and I'm hoping it will be easier to cut the slots with the round punch & chisel method. It will also give me the freedom to easily have longer or wider slots as needed.

Bronson

Bronson:

For a 1.5" belt slot oriented 90-degrees to the belt I found that a 1/4" hole punch and a 1.25" wood chisel worked very well.

If the belt slot needs to be angled it will need to be somewhat longer, so the 1.5" wood chisel works better with one cut.

A 1" chisel may be used for just about all belt slots, with multiple cuts, but this frequently leaves more clean-up work in the cut hole.

Hope this helps.

Total process can be done in less time than it takes to describe it.

Maybe for you two handed types ;)

Maybe for you two handed types

If I had three hands I might be able to match the quality of your work...

if youre just going to make 1 or 2 and thats it, the hole and chisel/knife is okay. but if youre going to do more of it then, get the right tool for the job. it will save you time in the long run.

I bought a real expensive slot punch and I hate it! maybe on light leather it would be great but on belts I punch holes and cut with a stanley knife. I think thats what Al Stohlman says.