JamesR

Cutting surfaces

What do you consider to be the best surface for a cutting table?

HDPE,LDPE,WOOD,ETC.

I curious now to see what the ol' hands have to say too. I have always used a wood table covered with black neoprene rubber from WW Grainger

Edited by TTcustom

Hi James,

HDPE sheet from U.S. Plastics. When it gets buggered-up, use the belt sander to make it like new. DO NOT hammer on it.

Art

HDPE,LDPE,WOOD,ETC.

I like HDPE for cutting surfaces. I have never used the LDPE (I don't think) and I'm not sure I really know how much difference there is between the two. I have resurfaced the HDPE boards I'm using now 2 or 3 times and they're still good! I don't like cuttiing on wood anymore since using the HDPE and the softer rubber boards (Poundo Boards) grab the knife too much. I do use the Poundo type boards for strap and hole punches though....

Bobby

HDPE. A few things I found was that once I really got a sharp knife, I don't need to push "down" as much as forward, and it really made a difference about leaving tracks in the cutting board surface. On tight turns that I don't punch, I cut those on glass. I have twisted a few corner points off round knives having the imbedded to some degree in the board and than making a tight turn.

I like HDPE for cutting surfaces. I have never used the LDPE (I don't think) and I'm not sure I really know how much difference there is between the two. I have resurfaced the HDPE boards I'm using now 2 or 3 times and they're still good! I don't like cuttiing on wood anymore since using the HDPE and the softer rubber boards (Poundo Boards) grab the knife too much. I do use the Poundo type boards for strap and hole punches though....

Bobby

Bobby,

When you punch holes on Poundo Board do you still back the piece up with a scrap or do you let the punch go into the poundo board?

Thanks.

Jim

Thanks to one and all for the help.

I am thinking of buying a 2' X 4' piece of HDPE and mounting it in a wooden frame that will fit over my woodworking bench whenever I need to do any cutting.

Jim

I never have never seen any of the HDPE. But i do use these cutting boards. Their 14 x 20 inches and 5/8 in. thick. The ones i have i got a outlet store for 9 or $10.00. I cut on them and punch on them both. You can buy the same thing at wal mart. I'm sure how much they cost there though.

cutting board.JPG

post-11301-12519343943_thumb.jpg

HDPE,LDPE,WOOD,ETC.

Hi JamesR,

Look at this website, they have everything, color, size, and they deliver fast...

http://thecuttingboa...tegory_Code=2CS

Bobby,

When you punch holes on Poundo Board do you still back the piece up with a scrap or do you let the punch go into the poundo board?

Thanks.

Jim

Jim,

Sorry to be so long in responding.....with the new forum format I keep missing posts! I had two poundo boards that I glued together back in the 70's and I can't even remember why I did it....it doesn't seem necessary, anyway, I still have it and that is what I use for punching. I just punch right into it. It would probably be better to put a piece of scrap under the leather I'm cutting, but I don't.

Hope this helps....

Bobby

Hi James,

HDPE sheet from U.S. Plastics. When it gets buggered-up, use the belt sander to make it like new. DO NOT hammer on it.

Art

Keep in mind you are probably leaving grit from the belt embedded in the surface of the board. All those hungry little abrasive particles just waiting to eat your beautifully sharpened edge. Might a plane or jointer do the trick?