Go2Tex

Taking The "slick" Out Of A Slick Seat Western Saddle

The problem:

The western saddle "slick" seat usually becomes very slick with use and some riders complain and seek a more secure seat.

Besides sanding or finger carving, has anyone tried anything else with any degree of success?

Is there a product, that can be applied to the seat after construction to reduce the slipperiness that does not alter the appearance too much?

The problem: The western saddle "slick" seat usually becomes very slick with use and some riders complain and seek a more secure seat. Besides sanding or finger carving, has anyone tried anything else with any degree of success? Is there a product, that can be applied to the seat after construction to reduce the slipperiness that does not alter the appearance too much?
Dang it Tex,....I can think 'a several ways to, 'Take the "Slick" out of the seat of a Western Saddle", or just about any other saddle fer that matter. One sure way to do it fer good would be a well placed ball from a .44 cal. at close range. Another less permanent method would be a fair sized loop in a four-plait riata, tied off fast to high-post dally horn attached to a high spirited cayuse headed the other direction. Either one works fairly pronto, and without any argument, and that ole' "slick" won't know what for! Now, all seriousness aside, why would some hand order a slick seat saddle in the first place, and then whine about it later? If I was you, I'd see this as a marketing opportunity, an' suggest to those hard-to-please folks, that they have you install an in-layed, friction- guaranteed seat plug, such as a, 'Quill-on' porcupine hide,.......problem solved. On the other hand, if money's an issue fer 'em, just peel the label off a 4 oz. can a contact cement, tell 'em it's an old family recipe, all natural, slick-seat- modifier, developed generations ago in the Old Country, and get yerseff a tidy profit. I hope this gives ya' some fodder ta' chew on, And for the Good Lord's sake, please don't take offense.<BR> <BR>Mike Edited by mike59

Dang it Tex,....I can think 'a several ways to, 'Take the "Slick" out of the seat of a Western Saddle", or just about any other saddle fer that matter. One sure way to do it fer good would be a well placed ball from a .44 cal. at close range. Another less permanent method would be a fair sized loop in a four-plait riata, tied off fast to high-post dally horn attached to a high spirited cayuse headed the other direction. Either one works fairly pronto, and without any argument, and that ole' "slick" won't know what for! Now, all seriousness aside, why would some hand order a slick seat saddle in the first place, and then whine about it later? If I was you, I'd see this as a marketing opportunity, an' suggest to those hard-to-please folks, that they have you install an in-layed, friction- guaranteed seat plug, such as a, 'Quill-on' porcupine hide,.......problem solved. On the other hand, if money's an issue fer 'em, just peel the label off a 4 oz. can a contact cement, tell 'em it's an old family recipe, all natural, slick-seat- modifier, developed generations ago in the Old Country, and get yerseff a tidy profit. I hope this gives ya' some fodder ta' chew on, And for the Good Lord's sake, please don't take offense.<BR> <BR>Mike

ROTFLMAO!!!!!!! That is just bout the answer I was going to give but you mist one there Pard, take that old slick cak and through it up on a strawberry roan, then have the complainer just jump up on him in a choya forest. Now hand one way or the other when and if he gets back up in his wood he will be just about as stuck as a fella can get.

Now seriously in the past 15 + years we have turned out quite a few saddles most slick seat and I have never ever heard of such a complaint. If any thing a slick seat starts to truly conform with age. I have one old saddle I have had for 8 or years that actually has an imprint of my chap buckle on the seat. ( I dare say that is from to much sittin a lookin instead of spittin and workin. But that does not change the fact that out of all my years I have never heard such a thing. Not hack'n on you just havin a spot of fun........ but it is true

Thanks for the ideas there, Pard. I'll take it under advisement. Now, anybody else have any serious ideas?

Oh come on we didn't mean to get you upset. On a serious note there is one way you could do this. Most leather comes from the tannery with a little coating on it this can be seen easily with low end leather. Use some de-glazer on the seat. make sure you clean it several times with the de-glazer. You will need to oil the seat again. I just tried it on a piece of scrap to see if I could come up with something for you. I'll keep trying to see what else I can come up with.

Oh come on we didn't mean to get you upset. ......

I ain't upset. Why would I be upset over a little comic relief? I am known to engage in it myself from time to time.

Thanks for the ideas there, Pard. I'll take it under advisement. Now, anybody else have any serious ideas?

First off, Brent you need to post a picture. We don't see enough pictures of your work. Glad to see you have wintered well.

As far as the seat, other than the buffing you suggested, I am not sure of much else to do. I have seen a couple slick seats where they outlined a smooth out seat in the shape where you'd lay an inlay. There was a bead line around it to make it look like it belonged there and then buffed inside that line. It looked pretty cool I thought. When it burnishes up and slicks, just buff it again. A bronc saddle maker told me they get more mileage out of swells by making them smooth out and buffing than roughout.

Brent,

Just got off your site, good Lord man your a maker and that aint no BS. Even on the high end leather you are using, I would still try the de-glazer idea. I used a piece of W&C to try it out on. Can I ask why you don't want to fine sand? Man you are a heck of a saddle man.

Brent,

Just got off your site, good Lord man your a maker and that aint no BS. Even on the high end leather you are using, I would still try the de-glazer idea. I used a piece of W&C to try it out on. Can I ask why you don't want to fine sand? Man you are a heck of a saddle man.

Thanks. Much appreciate the compliments. I'm looking for something a customer could apply to their saddle to give it more grip. I would do as you suggest if I had it available, but it's not local.

First off, Brent you need to post a picture. We don't see enough pictures of your work. Glad to see you have wintered well.

As far as the seat, other than the buffing you suggested, I am not sure of much else to do. I have seen a couple slick seats where they outlined a smooth out seat in the shape where you'd lay an inlay. There was a bead line around it to make it look like it belonged there and then buffed inside that line. It looked pretty cool I thought. When it burnishes up and slicks, just buff it again. A bronc saddle maker told me they get more mileage out of swells by making them smooth out and buffing than roughout.

Hey Bruce, yep we wintered well. Can't say as much for our citrus trees. Lost my lime tree. I was growing real partial to those tree ripened limes for my gin tonics and tacos. It's deader than hell now though.

I did a seat with the bead and sanded it until it was like velvet. Worked real nice but took a lot of work.

Brent,

Besides the sanding job with the beads... I have also seen them used those same beaded lines and then apply some stamping like pear shading in a random fashion to create a random crumbled background with the pear shader.

Regards,

Ben

P.S. Sorry about the lime tree but the weather was a little harsher this winter (not like northern areas...but not good)

Brent

Sell them a new set of leggins. jeans and slick seats don't mix well. Just a thought.

Mark

Brent,

Likewise my condolences on the loss of your lime tree. I understand the obligatory use in gin and tonics and squeezed over carne asada and carnitas. I also have found that two or three wedges squeezed and dropped into a Sprite will make a limeade similar to Sonic, except I can actually make a good burger to go with it.

The guy I talked to that buffed the seat said he used a Black and Decker sander with the triangular head thing. Said it was just the ticket for the points and edges.

I use to ride when I was younger from about age 5 to 20, that was about 13 yrs ago but I did alot of trail riding, some showing when I was younger but mostly trail. Also when I say trail I mean up some really rough stuff that you were hanging on for dear life. All of this was done on slick seat western style saddles or bare back (usually with a pad).

I suffered the slick back saddle problem once and that was my first time on a well trained cutting horse, she was a very strong beast and I didnt understand leg pressure guiding a cutting horse and was use to trail riding, needless to say I squeezed one leg to much the horse went that direction and I stayed put. After picking myself up off the ground and my parents laughing there butts off I realized really quickly how to guide that horse lol. Never had a issue after that though.

Guess what I am saying is I think the people that ride with that type saddle need to learn how to ride with it. If you are decent riding with them then you dont have a problem. If you cant then you need to request a different type of leather on the seat. Personally I couldnt imagine riding with any other type but thats just me. I tried the suede covered seats and didnt like them, I couldnt slide around when I wanted to very easily which wasnt a good thing when you were ducking trees and trying to hang on during various other issues.

Oh and wanted to add, you make some amazing saddles. Would of loved to of had one of those when I was younger. Sorry if I didnt really answer your question but figured I would throw my little nugget of experience out there.

Edited by MADMAX22

.........Oh and wanted to add, you make some amazing saddles. Would of loved to of had one of those when I was younger. Sorry if I didnt really answer your question but figured I would throw my little nugget of experience out there.

Thanks for the nugget and the compliments. I agree with your assessment of the "problem" which, usually isn't a problem. But, it's always nice to have a solution or two up your sleeve besides, "You'll get used to it", or "Well Sir, nobody else is complainin'". Or one reply that would really go over big, "Well Sir, if you were just a better rider...."

I'm afraid I'm just not tactful enough to make that one work.

Brent,

Likewise my condolences on the loss of your lime tree. I understand the obligatory use in gin and tonics and squeezed over carne asada and carnitas. I also have found that two or three wedges squeezed and dropped into a Sprite will make a limeade similar to Sonic, except I can actually make a good burger to go with it.

The guy I talked to that buffed the seat said he used a Black and Decker sander with the triangular head thing. Said it was just the ticket for the points and edges.

Oh yeah, Sonic drive-ins! I avoid the place like the plague. Just the blaring music alone is enough to lock up my brakes and throw the truck into reverse and lay rubber out of the lot. I couldn't tell ya what the food is like. Can't get past the damn music.

Sorry, I digress....

The problem: The western saddle "slick" seat usually becomes very slick with use and some riders complain and seek a more secure seat. Besides sanding or finger carving, has anyone tried anything else with any degree of success? Is there a product, that can be applied to the seat after construction to reduce the slipperiness that does not alter the appearance too much?
Brent, My appologies for the my attempt at a little humor yesterday, no disrepect intended. If I can be taken seriously for a moment, concerning your question; I would like to suggest the use of, " Tincture of Benzoin". It comes in a spray bottle, or can be applied with a dauber; I recommend the spray. It is a resin compound mixed with alcohol used primarily for protecting the skin from allergic reaction, or irritation, where bandaging is used. Athletes use it to protect the skin from irritation caused by the glue in surgical bandages. I use it on horses where there necessitates such bandaging on shaved areas where sutures have been applied. It has an anticeptic quality as well, and makes the banages hold better. It is not sticky, but has a tacky quality to it, and it washes off quite easily; saddle soap would be the way I'd go for that. I think it would provide just enough friction in the seat without harming the clothing of the rider, or the leather, as it is intended for use on skin. I wish I could say I've used in such a way, but I have not. By the way, your work is Extrordinary! Edited by mike59

Brent, My appologies for the my attempt at a little humor yesterday, no disrepect intended. If I can be taken seriously for a moment, concerning your question; I would like to suggest the use of, " Tincture of Benzoin". It comes in a spray bottle, or can be applied with a dauber; I recommend the spray. It is a resin compound mixed with alcohol used primarily for protecting the skin from allergic reaction, or irritation, where bandaging is used. Athletes use it to protect the skin from irritation caused by the glue in surgical bandages. I use it on horses where there necessitates such bandaging on shaved areas where sutures have been applied. It has an anticeptic quality as well, and makes the banages hold better. It is not sticky, but has a tacky quality to it, and it washes off quite easily; saddle soap would be the way I'd go for that. I think it would provide just enough friction in the seat without harming the clothing of the rider, or the leather, as it is intended for use on skin. I wish I could say I've used in such a way, but I have not. By the way, your work is Extrordinary!

No disrespect taken. The way I dish it out sometimes, I guess I'm entitled to a little of the same. But, thanks for the advice on that tincture of benzoin. I'll look for it and give it a try. It must be a bit like Tuff Skin maybe?

The problem:

The western saddle "slick" seat usually becomes very slick with use and some riders complain and seek a more secure seat.

Besides sanding or finger carving, has anyone tried anything else with any degree of success?

Is there a product, that can be applied to the seat after construction to reduce the slipperiness that does not alter the appearance too much?

My friend took lessons (english) from a lady who used Leder Balsam on her english saddles to get some tackiness to them. I've looked online and there are a couple different brands that use that name, not sure what she was using. My dad packs mules all summer and rides a slick seat saddle, I saw he had a jar of the stuff he was using, said it's good for grip and weather. This wouldn't be a permanent 'fix' but it might be worth a try.

The problem:

Riding lessons!rofl.gif Sorry Brent, I couldn't help myself!!!

Riding lessons!rofl.gif Sorry Brent, I couldn't help myself!!!

No respect. No respect, I tell ya!

My friend took lessons (english) from a lady who used Leder Balsam on her english saddles to get some tackiness to them. I've looked online and there are a couple different brands that use that name, not sure what she was using. My dad packs mules all summer and rides a slick seat saddle, I saw he had a jar of the stuff he was using, said it's good for grip and weather. This wouldn't be a permanent 'fix' but it might be worth a try.

Yeah, now that's the ticket. Thanks for the input.

Yeah, now that's the ticket. Thanks for the input.

how aboot a shower mat one with suction cups. cut a 2inc strip measure to fit from belt under to belt[back] kinda like a g string suction cups out of course just enough traction what to call it [key]to sales my thought is cowboy tractionstring jest an idear

I think you're looking for Stick Cream http://greenhawk.ca/cgi-local/SoftCart.exe/scstore/p-STO0041.html?L+scstore+ptjn0476ff1da61d+1283078111.

Yup, that's what it's called, and that's what it does. The little blurb that comes with says something about your boots not wrecking the saddle but the German label also says "sit-tide creme," so I'm thinking they know that most people use it keep their butts sitting tight in the saddle.

Always seemed a little like cheating to me but heck, who needs to know. And if you land in the dust, everyone knows. Definitely the lesser of two evils.

I use Lederbalsam on the leather seats in my Cummins Ram. It makes the leather soft and plyable, but i can't say i notice a difference in tackiness. I would actually find it annoying. My better half uses it on her Duett dressage saddle, and doesn't think it has any tack. Admittedly, I use it on my Terri Beecher made Wade saddle, (which I still think is one of my most prized posessions, thanks to the folks here) but I don't use it on the seat, as I don't, ...um.....ok, I have no idea why i don't use it on the seat! I think it does a great job protecting the rest of the leather though, and there is no tackiness anywhere. I would hate that.

Not that I have any real expertise, but I think your client needs to learn to start riding the horse, and not the saddle. Quit thinking of it as a seat, maybe?? You would have a hard time not offending them though. I had a hard time explaining to a client that she was 'too big' for her quarter horse. A lot of tap dancing and soft shoeing.

If all else fails, 2 inches of the rounded tip of a broom handle, screwed down to the center of the seat may help. Sort of a trailer hitch effect!

Yeah, I know, that wasn't very nice. Just kidding. Seems like anything 'sticky' will look messy and darken like pine tar on a baseball bat. Glue some hook and latch to the seat of thei jeans and the saddle. This way, they can get off and on, and not slide artound. :+)

The local apple orchard is having an outdoor, harvest music concert, I will see if they are willing to make it a benefit concert for you and your beloved citrus tree. Apple tress are hardier, Appletini anyone?