wolvenstien

Finish pealed off

As some of you know, I have been working on re covering my motorcycle seat. I got the sissybar pad covered and started on the passenger seat and got to a point where I know if I continued with it I would not like it. So I recently ripped it apart and started over keeping in mind the mistakes I made on it and while I had the leather laid out, i did pretty much the same thing for the coloring and finishing as I did on the first fo round: Fiebings antique and super sheen over it. The first go round turned out nice. I can scratch the leather and you can tell the super sheen is not sitting on top, but has sort of penetrated the leather. On the new one I was punching holes for the seams and noticed the super sheen looked like it wrinkled up. I scratched my finger nail over it and it came up, away from the leather and I was able to peal the entire layer of super sheen up away from the entire piece of leather. I have never had this happen before. I used the same antique and super sheen on both seats, and I applied them the same both times too. I cannot figure why it did this. Any ideas?

Can we reasonably presume that both leathers were adequately deglazed?

If so, the only thing I can think of is that some of the oils in the leather bled to the surface and lifted the finish.

I'll be following this one pretty closely, as I really want to know what happened.

I do not "deglaze" any of my leather.... I wet to case (actually, I have been using tandys spray casing stuff) then I apply the antique and wipe it off, I use a wet sponge when the antique drys too fast, and allow it to dry, then apply the supersheen with a dobberin circular strokes as fast as I can without leaving bubbles. then i let it dry. I might give it a second coat later....

I think the problem is that you are using Super Shene over the Antique. I would use Neat Lac over the Antique. The Antique is not allowing the Super Shene to penatrate the leather. Use proper ventilation with Neat Lac.

Randy

I think the problem is that you are using Super Shene over the Antique. I would use Neat Lac over the Antique. The Antique is not allowing the Super Shene to penatrate the leather. Use proper ventilation with Neat Lac.

Randy

[/quote/]

Randy, that would make sense if it hadn't worked the first time. Why would it let the Super Shene penetrate on one project, done the same way, and not on another ?

I would also put my duckies on what Randy posted.

When i used the Super Shene over Fiebings antique it peeled of just as you are saying.