How do you make your Kydex clips? I managed to build a rig out of wood to help mold mine. I just can't help but think there is a better way. Here is one of my creations.

lone_wolf_tuck.jpg

Those clips look great. I've been meaning to build a jig for this purpose for a while now...I never have enough time. Yours turned out awesome.

Nice work. You wouldn't happen to have a photo of your jig, would you?

What he said!

Nice work. You wouldn't happen to have a photo of your jig, would you?

I would also like to see your jig and if you have time give us a lesson in it's use.

I don't have pictures of it.

Its a simple little box looking thing made from paint mixing sticks you get at Lowes or Homedepot for free. To be honest it looks like crap since its just a prototype I would be embarrassed to post photos lol.

I basically cut/sanded pieces of wood to the required dimensions (belt size, the thumb catch on the clip, etc). You also need to make a track the desired width of your clips to hold them straight while they cool. The track needs to be on the belt spacer block and thumb catch to ensure everything is straight. Also, make sure the track sides are slightly lower then the kydex when sitting in the track. This way you are able to apply pressure to the kydex and ensure it cools while lying flat against your jig.

woolfe:

I would really like to see what you've made, even if it is rudimentary. I've got something partially made up as well, and I would be interested in seeing how yours compares. Then perhaps we can join the two designs together and make something that others can benefit from/use. I have access to some machinists and other craftsmen who may be able to help us in manufacturing the jig.

woolfe,

Any chance of you making J-hook versions? I really do not like that style clip, but I'd be happy to order J-hook style if you were minded to make some.

ETA: My wife couldn't handle me getting into a new hobby (kydex molding)

Dan

Edited by dbusarow

My thoughts on making a J-hook mold:

Get a block of aluminum (which sinks the heat away, making molding faster) at the thickness you want for the clip. On one end, mill/saw a notch the length of the 'J' part, and just slightly thicker than the Kydex. Now, while the Kydex is hot, insert one end of the strip into the notch, and wrap around the block.

For a visual of the cross section of this......take three rulers and stack them, then stagger the center one out a bit....kind like this

top of block

----------------------------------

insert kydex here -->

----------------------------------

bottom of block

Edited by TwinOaks

Here it is. I'm already working on an improved design. Although this gets the job done.

As TwinOaks said aluminum may be a good material to use. It only takes a couple minutes to cool with the wooden jig. Since I'm new to this I kinda like having a little extra time to manipulate the kydex. But, once I get it down it would be nice for it to cool faster.

I do plan on making J hooks, they just are not at the top of my list atm. I'm focusing on setting up my product line, and website atm. I really only care about making holsters, I'm mainly offering the clips as replacments for my holsters.

HPIM1691.jpg

Lets see what you guys are using to form your kydex ?!?!?

Edited by woolfe

Woolfe,

That is a great looking holster. I love the color. May I ask what brand and color of dye you are using to achieve that color?

Woolfe,

That is a great looking holster. I love the color. May I ask what brand and color of dye you are using to achieve that color?

Thanks! its Fiebings Lt brown airbrushed.

Here it is. I'm already working on an improved design. Although this gets the job done.

Lets see what you guys are using to form your kydex ?!?!?

Cool, thanks! I haven't played with kydex yet, but I just might have to.

I played with some kydex a few years ago, . . . made an IWB, tuckable, for a 1911.

After much aggravation, . . . I found that the $19.95 heat gun kit from Harbor Freight was just exactly the right tool for heating it up to bend and not hurt anything (there was a really neat "wrinkle" finish on the one side, . . . slick on the other").

As soon as I saw the bend was where I wanted it, . . . I applied a paper towel that had been soaking in cold water, . . . it chilled the bend and kept it right there.

The whole process was about an hour or so, . . .

May God bless,

Dwight