2palominos1bay

Breaking Needles On Bobbin Shuttle

I have a Ferdco Bull.Word at Sheridan was that they closed; I was aware that some big health issues were affecting their machinist, but sorry to hear this news. So I need alternate source of troubleshooters on what is causing the needles to break. Anyone have an idea what I am doing wrong? My machine (I think*) has the correct size needles (though I'm running out of them again) and thread (I think*). The machine will sew perfect stitches absolutely beautifully when I do tests. Also, even when I break a needle, the stitches are perfect. I thought I was too close to hardware, but that's not consistent across breaking incidents. I thought I might be letting my piece slide too much and create torque. That is also not consistent. The only thing that is consistent is when I think I've tested the machine on enough scraps and go again to a valuable piece with lots of hours into it the machine breaks the needle on the shuttle and, well, let's say I'm proficient in a second language now AND I'm getting very good with my awl and harness needles!

* I am running the machine on pieces like rigging plates and other double thick 12-13oz leather saddle pieces using a 794S needle and my thread is size 277 on the top and 207 in the bobbin.

What should I try next? If anyone knows a good Ferdco resource in the Bozeman area, please reply!

Tony Luberto may be able to help, he made a maintenance video on the 900 Bull. Do you know that the needle is striking the shuttle and not the needle plate? Check that the needle is not too close to the needle plate where a little needle torque would make it hit the plate. The plate might be ever so slightly adjustable.

Art

I have a Ferdco Bull.Word at Sheridan was that they closed; I was aware that some big health issues were affecting their machinist, but sorry to hear this news. So I need alternate source of troubleshooters on what is causing the needles to break. Anyone have an idea what I am doing wrong? My machine (I think*) has the correct size needles (though I'm running out of them again) and thread (I think*). The machine will sew perfect stitches absolutely beautifully when I do tests. Also, even when I break a needle, the stitches are perfect. I thought I was too close to hardware, but that's not consistent across breaking incidents. I thought I might be letting my piece slide too much and create torque. That is also not consistent. The only thing that is consistent is when I think I've tested the machine on enough scraps and go again to a valuable piece with lots of hours into it the machine breaks the needle on the shuttle and, well, let's say I'm proficient in a second language now AND I'm getting very good with my awl and harness needles!

* I am running the machine on pieces like rigging plates and other double thick 12-13oz leather saddle pieces using a 794S needle and my thread is size 277 on the top and 207 in the bobbin.

What should I try next? If anyone knows a good Ferdco resource in the Bozeman area, please reply!

Thank you so much! I was working with it again and found that my needle is actually getting pulled down by to the shuttle in these thicker sewing tasks. Now I'm chasing down why that would happen. I may not have always heard the raspy sound when this has happened in the past, but this time I was quick to catch it. I'm tightening the nut that secures the needle, but clearly there is something that is still not just right. I greatly appreciate your reply - thanks again - Lisa

Hi Lisa,

Exactly which Ferdco machine do you have. The 2000 (441 clone or maybe a Juki) has a lower needle guide, maybe. What needle plate are you using and are you using lube on your thread. Include all makes and manufactures. I have never broken a needle before except for a needle strike on the needle plate. Either the work or the thread is bending the needle, if you put a lot of force on the piece being sewn, you can bend the needle to the point that it strikes something. What size needle and thread?

Art

Thank you so much! I was working with it again and found that my needle is actually getting pulled down by to the shuttle in these thicker sewing tasks. Now I'm chasing down why that would happen. I may not have always heard the raspy sound when this has happened in the past, but this time I was quick to catch it. I'm tightening the nut that secures the needle, but clearly there is something that is still not just right. I greatly appreciate your reply - thanks again - Lisa

Thank you again for your reply. My machine is a Ferdco 2000 (Bull). I am using nylon thread 277 on the top, and 207 in the bobbin for these saddle part sewing tasks. The needles have been 794, either 230 size 26 or 200 size 25 (when I ran out of the former). My wax pot has olive oil in it and I do wonder if this is completely wrong. Yesterday it was apparent that the screw which holds up the needle into the needle bar (the bar that drives the needle, is what I hope I am describing) might not be keeping the needle from being left behind when it is down into the leather, so that is when the needle is actually able to be still in the leather when the bobbin shutte hits it. Prior to a break, every stitch is perfect on top, bottom and length. Whether the screw is not able to tighten enough to hold the needle (and this machine is lightly, lightly used) or whether my thread lubrication is not assisting, remains unclear. I welcome further direction, and I hope this is getting close to resolution. My gut feeling from your insight, is that lubrication of the thread may be the key, That chewing sound that I detected before the last break seems very wrong for a properly set up system. Greatly appreciate your help, thank you, thank you. Lisa

If your needle screw is letting the needle go inside the leather, I would replace the needle securing screw. It might have worn threads, or have been cross-threaded by accident. If the latter happened, you must pray that only the screw itself is damaged, not the needle bar.

If the screw is fine, but won't tighten enough, the threads in the needle bar might be worn, or cross-threaded. This would require you to have a new threads cut to a larger size, to match a new, larger diameter screw, or to have the needle bar replaced. Not going to be cheap either way.

Thanks again for the information. I looked at the screw and it seems fine. So when I reviewed needle and thread size (thread 277 on top, 207 in bobbin) recommendations again I wondered if this is happening just with the thicker material because for those threads and leather weight if I'm pushing the envelope for a smaller needle 25 or 26. I tried sewing the same conditions again that breaks the needle but monkeyed the system --- if I heard the chewing noise, I stopped, hand rotated the fly wheel, started again.. Boy does this make sewing slow! The tests did sew, no breaks, beautiful stitches, just wondering.... it's usually the simpiliest things, right? Get some bigger needles?

Have you contacted Ferdco? They are still in business and should be able to solve this problem.

I don't know which machine your Bull was built on. The issue you are having may be specific to a Juki, Seiko, Adler, etc, etc. Methinks it will be something in the shuttle area that is responsible for the needles breaking. Perhaps a burr from a previous needle strike, or a retarded or advanced shuttle hitting the needle instead of gliding past it. Maybe the needle bar is loose in its mount and has shifted laterally?

Try using a #26 needle fer the hellofit.