sandycreek

Goat/kid For Edge Lacing

Hey everyone,

I picked up some of the chrome tanned goat skin/ kid skin that Tandy had on sale a few months ago (sale price was something like 12.99 a piece) mostly because it was cheap and came in some nice colors (or "fun" colors as my daughter described it). I'm wondering now how suitable it would be to make some 1/8" lace for edge lacing. The projects I'm wanting to use it on are a couple wallets and maybe some wrist cuffs/bracelets. I'm probably gonna go with at least triple loop if not the Mexican round. My main concern is that, being chrome tanned, the finish is gonna wear and scuff and get generally crummy after a short time, but having never messed with GOAT chrome tanned before I'm just not sure. I'm not AS concerned about the cuffs/bracelets, but having a wallet rubbing around in a back pocket puts some wear on the lace and I just don't know if this goat will hold up. So, does anybody have any thoughts or experience with something similar to this (other than "throw it out and buy some 'roo lace")?

Thanks everyone,

-Aaron

Aaron,

New to the site and just saw your question. I too purchased some of the goat hides when on special, with the idea of cutting some lace from them. My intention was to use the lace on horse headstalls.

Wondering if you ended up trying to cut and use the lace on any of your projects and how it turned out?

Jens

Jens,

I use the goatskins for lace all the time and love it. I don't make wallets, but everything I do make I lace. If it is a garment or purse or such, I actually prefer to use goat lace over even kangaroo, as it is so much softer to the feel.