JAZZMAN

Granite Chopping Board Help

Hi i know that most people recommend going to a kitchen worktop type place to get hold of a granite or marble slab from a scrap bin but i am unable to do that as i have a disability that would make it hard for me to get it home, so i need to get one delivered ,i have seen one on ebay and wondered if it might do the job.Here is the link.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Worktop-Saver-Kitchen-Chopping-Cutting-Surface-Board-Granite-New-By-Premier-/191400329687

It's only one cm thick. Chances are it would break before long. I think you need at least 1", 2.5 cm thick.

Talk to some of your friends, may be able to get one of them to help you get a slab.

There are also 3", 7.5 cm thick granite surface plate that machinists use for checking flatness. Just looked up one here, 12x18x3", 35.6 kg, $45 CAN. You might be able to get one of those delivered for a good price if you find a source close to you.

Tandy here has 12x12x1" slab. Check your local price and shipping.

Tom

Edit. Another option is to get 3 or 4 of the thin slabs and glue the together. Make sure they are glued true with each other, or a few hits and the top one will break. Ceramic floor tiles are another option to glue together. There is another thread here somewhere about that.

Edited by northmount

Thank you Tom for taking the time to reply, i had not spotted how thin that one was so i am glad you did, what kind of glue would you use to stick floor tiles together, i really am new to all this so i am sorry if i am being a bit dumb.

i just talked to a granite counter top place a couple of days ago. they had scrap pieces laying around and they said i could have a piece for no charge.

Bagga, That happened to me as well, got a piece estimated 2 foot by 3 foot for no charge, cleaning my proposed work area now. :) Expecting my state sales and Use tax number soon, and looking into federal tax forms needed, I will have only one person in my shop for now, so possibly no further paperwork needed :helpsmilie: :Newsicon:

Shame you can't get out... i'm in the UK, too, and found B&M (Home Bargains, too) selling slabs of granite approx 14"x10"x1.5cm for £4.99 ea. Look the same as the one in your link but thicker.

I sandwiched two together. Not with glue, but with a thin sheet of silicone mat. Works very nicely.