Sign in to follow this  
Jaymack

Backgrounding

Hi,

I'm new to leather crafting, but after my first project I have a couple questions.

1. How do you prevent tool marks when backgrounding.

2. What weight mallet do you use for each general tooling procedure. For example, when you basketweave, what weight mallet do you use, or when you bevel or background, what weight do you use. Is there a rule of thumb, especially since I lack any experience.

I've been monitoring all of your work on this forum for a couple weeks before I tackled my first project. This forum has been a huge help. I've seen some amazing examples that in my wildest dreams I never thought could be done with leather!

Thanks for your help!

John

Hi,

I'm new to leather crafting, but after my first project I have a couple questions.

1. How do you prevent tool marks when backgrounding.

2. What weight mallet do you use for each general tooling procedure. For example, when you basketweave, what weight mallet do you use, or when you bevel or background, what weight do you use. Is there a rule of thumb, especially since I lack any experience.

I use a 9 oz mallet for all of it, including the background. Most of what I do is on 3 to 10 oz leather, if that's another factor. Another guy used to do some work for us, used a big (well, I thought it was big) 16 oz mallet (not a maul). Used to "harrass" him a bit... some of the boys called him "Thor" :) Really a matter of personal preference, though, and your tools should leave good impressions as long as your force is consistent and there's a bit of overlap in the strikes.

Hi John,

When doing your backgrounding, your leather should be on the dry side. You will need to practice until you are able to use consistent force when you are hitting the tool. Move it slightly between hits making the impressions overlap (unless you are using a bar grounder). You may need to go over your background areas more than one time to get it really smooth. Also, if you have a lot of background area on your project, you should have some sort of backing on your leather when you are stamping on it. Leather will stretch out of shape otherwise.

I use a 16 ounce maul for all of my tooling.

I seemed to be against the norm, but I use a 12 oz to 16oz for tooling leather. I agree with ClayB about when to do the background though I have to say that I have waited until the next day to background with a A104. I am always testing different techniques and I have to say that you can always background as long as you are on the dryer side.

As for basketweaving, try out different weights if you have a chance. I use a heavier weight for my basket tooling because I like the feel. I have used up to a 2lb. What ever you chose just make sure it works for you.

Good luck.