WashingtonCross

Stitch Patterns On Belts

Hello everyone! I want to start sewing more complex stitch patterns on my belts. Like figure 8 patterns, loop diamond stitch patterns, cross stitching, etc. Can someone out there please point me in the right direction about the best way to do this? I'm thinking about buying a cheapy drafting tool kit and drawing out the patterns myself. Obviously, I want the patterns to come out even and symmetric. Like the belt below (click for bigger pic). What are your suggestions? Thanks a lot!

post-39562-0-53498500-1368721650_thumb.j

Edited by WashingtonCross

Hi get some paper or card & work the pattern out on that 1st then make yourself a template from it, I use anything I can lay my hands on thats round to draw around, or you could use a compass, hope I have helped.

I saw one fellow make a pattern (about 5" long) out of plexi-glass. The pattern was then glued onto another narrow lip piece of plexi-glass at the bottom of the pattern piece to keep the margin constant on the top and/or bottom of the belt strip.

He could then score the stitching pattern on the belt & slide it down the length and the ends of his fancy belt stitch pattern would just keep repeating. I hope this makes sense. Wish I had a pic to show. Maybe some one has a pic and can post it.

Edited by GoldenKnight

Black river laser just put out a set of templates for doing the Gunfighter stitch also called the Boot stitch or Fish tail stitch. In a couple of days they will be putting out the templates for those that use sewing machines. Blackriverlaser.com they have an ebay site that has more items then is on their web site. http://stores.ebay.com/BLACK-RIVER-LASER/_i.html?rt=nc&_sid=317072061&_trksid=p4634.c0.m14.l1513&_pgn=2

post-15001-0-71428300-1374718254_thumb.j

Edited by camano ridge

This is similar to what I saw, but is actually more fancy. The jig I saw was like a half circle with a lip on the bottom to keep the edge flush along the edge of the belt strip. The guy would score the line for stitching & move it down the strip. Then he'd flip the belt strip & do the same on the other edge.