homewoodacres

Vintage Western Bridle Silver To New Leather Bridle

Hi,

I had the good fortune last year of finding an older western headstall with numerous silver overlay touches. The entire brow band is topped with silver overlay. The buckles are sterling silver.

I love the look of the headstall, unfortunately the leather has not been taken care of and is cracking in places near the heavy silver. I do not know much about leather headstall construction, I am not sure how the silver is attached because it seems the leather is doubled so you don't see the back of the screws.

I would very much like to take the silver off of this headstall and put it on new leather.

Can anyone provide me guidance; Is it possible? if it is possible, can anyone refer me to someone who has experience doing something like this. I am located in South Carolina but make frequent trips to Georgia and TN.

Thanks,

post-50427-0-23910500-1394370353_thumb.j

post-50427-0-44945300-1394370380_thumb.j

post-50427-0-21030800-1394370403_thumb.j

post-50427-0-58391300-1394370430_thumb.j

post-50427-0-57401700-1394370451_thumb.j

Yes, the silver is attached with chicago screws to the top piece and then the lining is sewed on. If you use the old headstall for a pattern you will have to be careful to lay out the pieces with careful consideration for the way you plan to sew them as not just any foot will sew that close if you plan to machine sew.

Looks like a very nice head stall with a lot of nice silver. Wether or not the silver can be used easily depends on how it is mounted, they are screw backs no problem, however if they are splash backs it makes re using them dificult. Below is a picture of a splash back. Splash back is a tube or stem that is musshed down or peened against a washer securing the concho etc in place. To re use a splash back you would basically have to clip that tube from the back, sand the back of the concho smooth and JB weld or silver solder a chicago screw to the back. I ahve sent yoou a PM see the little envolope at the top of your screen

post-15001-0-01684600-1394379409_thumb.p

Camano Ridge is right in that there are two things you might find when you take the liner loose. I made my guess by looking at the dimples on the back. Properly done, splash backs are almost flush and don't show through like your pics, but it will still be a little moment of discovery when you first peek under the liner. Sewing caveats still apply.