George B

Another Pair Of Stirrups Done

Finished another set of leather covered stirrups. Was taught to cut, stitch, then wet and forced down onto the stirrup. Hands and elbow take a beating but it forms good an tight. This also allows me to place all the neck hardware on the outside of the leather instead of behind the leather where it is not accessable for easy repair or changing. I cannot tell you how many times I've seen covered stirrups that the nut has come loose behind the leather and cost as much to repair as to replace.

post-18937-027709000 1295978590_thumb.jp

well those look really nice, good job!

looks great keep up the good work

Beautiful work George. I hope you post more pics in the future...and maybe even a set of pictures of your work in progress. That'd be pretty interesting, I think.

Dave

Edited by bison

Thank you all. This pair was redone on the same stirrups I did in school, let's just say there is a little difference. I do have some pages and pics on my website I took while doing a Chestnut wide gullet Reiner.

http://www.poppingrock.com/how%20to%20build%20a%20saddle.htm

Nice job. I don't know if you're interested but I noticed you said you're hands and elbows take a beating doing these, I've done covers like these for years, if you saddle soap you're bare stirrups a little before you start to slide the covers on and then once you've pushed them on as far as they'll go easy turn them upside down and thump the bottom of the stirrup with a rubber coated shot loaded hammer while holding the cover firmly you can tap them right on without any difficulty. Something like thumping the end of a hammer handle to drive the head on tight, and no beating up the hands and elbows. Hope that may make it easier some time.