Jimbob

Mccallan Saddle For A Rocking Horse...

Somebody is making huge rocking horses and wants me to make a copy of a McCallan Cavallery saddle, should be about 1/3 of the original or a bit larger...horse is 5 foot long about 49 inches tall and 12 inches wide.

Where can I get a tree for such thing...can I substitute something to get the shape of the tree/saddle...??

Never made a saddle but lots of bike seats and much more...since this is NOT a real saddle or horse...I can cheat here and there but it should be very close by the look to represent this McClallan saddle !!

Also, what should I charge for such work...?? You can buy full size copies for under 400 bucks...?!!?

Any help is needed....seems like , if he like my work....I am in for much more of these saddles...so I wanna do a real good job on my first one !!!!!!!!

Thanks for helping out !!!!

Jimbob

Might be able to find more info if you spell cavalry <----- that way. Also, it will help your post come up in a search with it spelled that way.

I an sooo glad you tokk time too correcct my speeling...never now when u nead a heelping hand....tanks for poienting out mi mistake...sooo glad.@@!!

Jiimboob

Jimbob, check with David Carrico he is or was making McClellan saddle trees http://www.carricoleather.com/mcclellansaddles.html, Also check Weaver they had a lot of parts for restoration of McClellan saddles. In Leather Crafters and Saddlers Journal there are a couple of articles with information on the McClellan saddle, I will look them up if you are interested. I f you have some woodworking skills and some basic woodworking tools I would think you could get measments or a McClellan reduce thos down to the size you w want and build a tree.

I didn't do that to "correct" you. I did it so that when people search for "CAVALRY" on here, your post would show up for them because it never would the way you spelled it.

Sheesh...try and help someone...

Camano, tnx for the heads up and info,,,,the hardware will be a problem,,,,I see that...I am sure nobody has small items to scale....I guess we found out that it will be about a size 10-11 saddle going by scale...we'll have to see....

And TXAG, dont worry, I was just trying to be funny....according to my wife I am never are...and YEs my spelling sucks...haha....so I guess I have to spell stuff right to get good returns in searchings...will do better next time....

Now its off to the bench and read some old blueprints I found....guess I need to start thinking about making this saddle tree'''

Ya all be god and tnx fer helbing mee....

I was thinking that 1/3 trees were common for competitions and decorations where a full size would be too big. As for a pattern get yourself a copy of ordnance order #29 it has all the info for a full size saddle just reduce it to 1/3 the size. You will have all the accutrament info also like bridles and saddle bags the more you add the more yo can charge. I thought about finding an old broken saddle repairing it for use on my electric scooter as I use it as a gun cart for CAS events. A&E a scabbard for the rifle on one side and one for the shotgun on the other saddle bags yo carry ammo and stuff. Replace the seat with the saddle find a carrosale horse head and mount to tiller. Etc, eventually for competitions have a complete setup with saddlebags filled as prescribed in regs withs bags for coffee and sugar etc.

Just a thought, how about modifing an english or jockey saddle, seems the tree may be close to what you want. There are also kid saddles if you can find an old one you can take apart for sizing and make the new parts to resemble McClellan.

Edited by Troy Burch