thefanninator

March Keep Making Stuff Challenge

tboyce's Drawstring Backpack is the pattern for March. Have fun!

http://leatherworker.net/forum/index.php?showtopic=59327

What part? I've gone over it in my head a few times.

The picture is of a clutch the guy showed of a different design of Boyce's. This design is however more of a draw string bag not a backpack. A backpack has straps and a flap to keep the elements out.

Playing around with the pattern. It looks to me like the drawstring is ran through a fold over seam along the top of the bag. This is likely problematic as the leather will not compress far enough to allow the top of the bag to fully close. I think grommet holes similar to the backpack pictures posted in the thread will likely work better to close the top fully. Any other input or ideas on this? I am going to try getting involved in the challenge this month.

I'll be working on mine this week. It may not fully close. As in the other challenges feel free to alter to your taste.

Anyone working on this? Currently working on mine. Hitting a few bumps.

I think my 2.5 oz is too thick to draw it closed but we'll see when I'm finished.

36" rope is probably too short.

The triangle gromments don't go on very easy due to the sides being stitched inside out.

Well, better late than never. I finally finished my dopp bag that was February's challenge. I was away for two weeks vacation in Feb and came home to massive amounts of snow. I'm not sure what is going to give out first, the snow or my back. between Sunday and today, we got 29 inches of snow at my house in Nova Scotia.

post-58856-0-29714100-1426733118_thumb.j

post-58856-0-31980800-1426733119_thumb.j

post-58856-0-05477700-1426733120_thumb.j

post-58856-0-47408500-1426733120_thumb.j

Now to start the project for March lol.

Edited by TRHLeather

I got close to finishing but there are a few design flaws. I may unstitch and try it right side out, then stitch the corner pieces on. My piece of rope is too short also.

Been working on the Do Something Challenge this month. Just finished it up. Ended up changing a few things, but I was happy with the result.

post-6938-0-45797800-1427325220_thumb.jp
post-6938-0-00324000-1427325236_thumb.jp
post-6938-0-13567900-1427325269_thumb.jp
post-6938-0-13567900-1427325269_thumb.jp
post-6938-0-92308700-1427325506_thumb.jp
post-6938-0-20359900-1427325467_thumb.jp
Edited by Randahl

Randal,

Nice work. What you did with the grommets is very similar to how I had envisioned the cinch area. I really like how you did the straps.

Aaron

Nice work! That's awesome.

Fancy!

Very nice, lovely leather. Great job!

Well between finishing the February challenge and doing the final adjustments on my sewing machine, I wasn't sure I was going to get this finished. Not only did I finish, I managed to squeak it into March. Had some issues with the pattern. I didn't make the fold-over for the string big enough for two strings, in fact, with one string I couldn't get it to cinch tight. I abandoned that idea and used grommets instead. I still have a long way to go before I will be proficient with the sewing machine but I managed to sew the pieces together and didn't attach any of my fingers to it. All said and done, I had fun making it.

post-58856-0-09626900-1427853032_thumb.j

post-58856-0-36722100-1427853019_thumb.j

post-58856-0-03784000-1427853031_thumb.j

post-58856-0-72533900-1427853032_thumb.j

Nice work. I won't be finishing mine. The pattern just didn't work out. I spent over $10 on some nice rope and it's way too short.

I've got to get some money out of the leather so I'll probably just finish it as a tote and try to sell it.

Edited by thefanninator

Nice job, TRH. I was too busy this month, but hopefully should be able to participate next month.

Have I missed the April post?

I have been searching for it and can't find it either.

Chris might not have posted it yet.

Oh sorry everyone. I'm a little late. I've been trying to finish some paper work and set appointments to close on a house and other things of that nature today. I'll post it shortly.

post-37799-0-22211800-1429499483_thumb.jI hate giving up on something. This project fought me every step of the way. Threw it across the room several times. Still don't like the way it turned out, but I'm done with it. Tried braiding the cord for it with some calf lace purchased from Tandy. Finished 1, but the new roll of lace had a splice that broke every 7 or 8 feet. Threw the entire roll in the trash. Learned a few things, so it wasn't a waste of time.

Forgot to mention that it doesn't close because the material I used was to thick. Kinda like the skull surrounding my pea brain.