grmonkeybiz

Consew 206Rb5 - Which Is The Best Servo Motor For Leather?

Hey gang...I know this topic has been beat to death...but which servo motor should I buy to replace my clutch motor on my Consew 206?

My goal is to have the ability to sew through thick leather at a very slow rate as well as have the ability to sew at a good clip with other materials. Would be very nice to have linear speed control as shown in the video by SWFL Holsters. In addition, I need to be able to rotate the handwheel freely when not under power.

Here's what I know....

Enduro Pro 650: 800watt unit. Appears to work well for SWFL Holsters. Can DIY for a smoother operation according to...

http://www.swflholst...paper-gradient/

The "Wiz" uses a SewPro 500GR servo motor, with built-in 3:1 gear reduction and a 2" pulley as shown in his video. The SewPro appears to be only rated at 300 watts. Hard to find much more detail about this unit. Wiz's video shows good operation but, not sure if you can DIY for smoother operation? Or it may not be needed? Comments?

Many folks on the Hot Rodders forum seem to like the Sew Quiet 5000. A 3/4 hp - 600 watt.

Any recommendations?

Thank you!

I'm now using Family Sew 3/4 hp servo motors. They have speed limiter rotary switches on the front, which are very easy to access. Curiously, the rotary switches on my motors are wired backwards to US and Canadian sop. They go faster counterclockwise, rather than the opposite!

These motors have much more torque at very slow speeds than my 2 SewPro 500GRs. Plus, they have a much higher top speed than the SewPro. I put one on my Singer 31-15 and, depending on the rotary switch setting and my foot position, I can sew from about 1 stitch every few seconds up to 25 per second.

I happen to buy these motors from Toledo Industrial Sewing Machines. I am guessing that many other sewing machine shops sell them as well, possibly under different brand names.

I paid about $110, plus about $15 UPS shipping. The other one was installed on a machine I had custom built. That is a 20" long bed, Singer type 139 walking foot machine. I usually run it at the slowest setting, or the first step up from there. Since I use it mostly for patches, this is all the speed I need. But, a twist of the knob can send the poor machine into overdrive, like used be on my 1956 Olds Rocket.

Edited by Wizcrafts

I got my first machine recently, consew 206 rb 5 with a sew pro 500 GR. Im Having trouble finding smooth control from stop to slow, it likes to jump to fast. being new to sewing, I really prefer Slow stitching. Would the Family Sew 3/4 hp servo motor give me the control im looking for?

Add a speed reducer first,,,,,,,,, or with a servo,

More control of the sewing speed IMHO David

I got my first machine recently, consew 206 rb 5 with a sew pro 500 GR. Im Having trouble finding smooth control from stop to slow, it likes to jump to fast. being new to sewing, I really prefer Slow stitching. Would the Family Sew 3/4 hp servo motor give me the control im looking for?

Yes! Just turn the speed dial to the lowest, or second lowest range and you can sew one stitch every season.

Add a speed reducer first,,,,,,,,, or with a servo,

More control of the sewing speed IMHO David

I have this motor powering a huge, 20 inch bed walking foot machine and find no need for a speed reducer. The motor is equipped with a 2 inch pulley and is already able to punch through whatever I have placed under the feet.

Of course, a reducer wouldn't hurt anything aside from one's top speed. The motor runs at about 3600 RPM, tops. A 2" motor pulley feeding a 4" flywheel pulley makes the machine's top speed about 1800 RPM, or stitches per minute. This maxes out a 30 stitches per second. With a 6:1 reducer system, the new top speed would become 600 stitches per minute, or 10 per second. This is okay for the kind of leather sewing crafters do, where slower is better, but not for upholsterers, where time is money.

A lot of servo motors have a problem with their linear speed control. Go to YouTube and search for a DIY mod to fix this. It's pretty easy and I've done it to two of my servos already.

I decided to go for the ultimate in convenience, power, and control. I got a consew needle Positioner motor and a speed reducer. I did the speed control mod and now the motor will basically go at a snail's pace if I want it.

Andrew

Wiz,

I was trying to get specs on the Family Sew Servo motor, the only thing I could come up with is this one. Is this the motor you use?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Family-Electronic-Servo-Motor-FESM-550N-/261224417046?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3cd2304716

Wiz,

I was trying to get specs on the Family Sew Servo motor, the only thing I could come up with is this one. Is this the motor you use?

http://www.ebay.com/...=item3cd2304716

It looks the same, but, I'm not at my shop. Also, the pulley on that motor is waaaaay too big for a leather machine! My FS motors have a 2 inch pulley.

Have you set the speed limiter knob below maximum? If so, how far down is it now set?

Is this a brand new machine? If so, it is not yet broken in. Keep oiling it in every oil hole, including inside the faceplate, where the crank shafts live (they have tiny oil holes).

Thanks Wiz, Yes brand new from Toledo,I've had it 3 weeks, keeping the speed knob@ 1/2. I've learned to use the hand wheel to give a kick start on thicker leather, I guess I need more practice finding the sweet spot with my foot control, have been keeping it oiled, the tiny holes inside face plate ? I better look for them.

Someone ask for specs on this motor we sell here's what I have.

Family-Sew Servo.rtf

Thanks for all of the replies!

I think I am going to try the Enduro Pro 650 with the positioner option. The needle will stop in the down position and with one tap on the heel of the pedal the needle move back up. I have not experience with this yet but I understand that this helps the control of the stitch when sewing around a tight corner.

From the specs it is an 800 watt motor which is to most powerful motor on the market that I have found that operates at 110v.

However I may find like many others that I will need to add a speed reducer.

Any suggestions on brands would be great...

Thanks again gang for reading and responding!

Make sure that the motor has slow speeds below 200 rpm. I saw one of those brand in a video and it dropped out at about 200.

Thanks for the advice Wiz!

Are you running with a speed reducer?

All

I watched the video below...on the SewPro500

The SewPro 500 comes with a 3:1 gear reduction built in.

So I am guessing that the Family Sew Servo motor must have a gear reduction built in as well....?

Thanks

Thanks for the advice Wiz!

Are you running with a speed reducer?

Not on my walking foot or straight stitch machines. I only have a speed reducer/torque multiplier on my big Cowboy CB4500 harness stitcher.

Ok thanks Wiz! I guess I still need to do some head scratching.