The topic of edging came up once again, and when Bob Park (who does the most perfect edges of anyone I've seen) posted his procedure for burnishing edges, I was all over it! (The topic is here if you missed it earlier.)

Bob uses glycerin soap and yellow soap for burnishing, which I'd never heard of before. I've used various waxes and gum trag, but never thought to use soap. I can't get that stuff locally, but I wanted to try something different, so I went and got some plain old saddle soap (which has glycerin in it).

He hand-burnishes with heavy canvas, but my elbow tendons don't like me to do that. So I used the rosewood burnisher I got from DeuceTrinal (Scott) instead, but other than that, pretty much followed the rest of his procedure.

WOW

I just had to share this, because the saddle soap made a huge difference! Don't think I'll be using gum trag anymore. See below...

bob_park_edges01_600.jpg

bob_park_edges02_600.jpg

Kate

bob_park_edges01_600.jpg

bob_park_edges02_600.jpg

post-7-1244755267_thumb.jpg

post-7-1244755279_thumb.jpg

Thanks Kate that is agreat edge!Cant wait to try that.This is the best place to get tips!

Great stuff Kate thanks for posting

Josh

Beautiful edges Kate! I'm glad this has worked for you! Mission accomplished for me. I do want to make one clarification however....I burnish with canvas that has been wrapped on a Weaver burnishing wheel....I do touch ups by hand however.

Bob

Thanky, sir! Ah, I see what you mean - I was not familiar with the Weaver setup you mentioned. I am very grateful for that little tidbit of know-how. I used to think a really slick edge was more work than it was worth. I could get an edge like this using wax or gum trag if I was willing to take all day and a bucket of elbow grease to get it done. I just wonder why more people don't use leather soap???

Kate

Thanky, sir! Ah, I see what you mean - I was not familiar with the Weaver setup you mentioned. I am very grateful for that little tidbit of know-how. I used to think a really slick edge was more work than it was worth. I could get an edge like this using wax or gum trag if I was willing to take all day and a bucket of elbow grease to get it done. I just wonder why more people don't use leather soap???

Kate

:dunno: I guess because until there were motorized burnishers, it was a hell of a lot of work! That has always been part of the problem....people don't really want to commit to a complete finish if it means more work than what it took to tool or build the piece! I didn't not invent the process...it's been the standard practice of saddle shops, for years!

Bob

Kate

:dunno: I guess because until there were motorized burnishers, it was a hell of a lot of work! That has always been part of the problem....people don't really want to commit to a complete finish if it means more work than what it took to tool or build the piece! I didn't not invent the process...it's been the standard practice of saddle shops, for years!

Bob

Kate

Ive been meaning to try the soap thing out myself. Learning everything I know from here or self tryouts its a learning experience to say the least.

I use water (with a few drops of dawn, same as my casing solution) to get my initial look and shape then throw on some bees wax and take to it with the canvas and they turn out pretty nice but not allways perfect per say. Looks like it is time to invest in some more stuff.

And I thought the saddle maker that showed me the soap trick was the only other guy using it... :lol:

DSC_0333_Resize.jpg

DSC_0333_Resize.jpg

post-9627-1244873050_thumb.jpg