lightingale

Filigreed Dog Collar With Metallic Lambskin Rolled Edge

6-7oz vegtan, tooled and filigree punched. 2 layers of blue metallic lambskin on the back (about 3-4 oz each layer). Same lambskin used for the roll. Genuine Swarovski crystals with rim sets for bling.

I was itching to try something new, and this project was a first for many techniques. I made a few mistakes, and my fingertips are covered in a film of superglue that I think will take days to wash off!

1. Rolled edges - Inspired by Kevin King's tutorial, I wanted to try this with some nice soft lambskins that were a special buy at Tandy. I sure learned a lot! First of all, the lambskin seems to be a bit too thick for this job. I guesstimate it's around 3-4 oz, like tangerine peel. It was difficult to skive because it's very stretchy. I wasn't sure how to "end" the rolled edge on the collar, so I just cut it on an angle. Any suggestions as to what kind of skiving knife works well on thin, stretchy leathers?

Yes, the stitching is all done by hand, on a crappy Tandy stitching pony. I'll probably make another post about my stitching pony experiences soon. Nobody seems to sell good stitching ponies, and I don't have the tools to build my own.

I tried to use hem tape, but the 5/8" one I bought was far too wide, and gummed up every blade I tried to cut it with. I ended up using crazy glue to hold the roll down while I stitched it. It did the job, but it's messy, and some of it got on the back of the collar. I think I'll try to clean it up with nail polish remover later.

2. Filigree - a technique I've been wanting to try for a while. For starters, I used the filigree punches from Tandy (they were on sale this month). They aren't perfect; the shapes are a bit irregular and I stropped them, but they did the job! Next, I'd like to try filigree on a floral design.

Filigree in general was pretty easy, but I think I'd go with a thinner leather if I were to do a floral one. 6-7 oz is tough to get through, and it leaves a thick "window" through which to see the pretty background. I chose 6-7oz because I wanted a strong enough leather to hold the martingale hardware on its own.

3. Setting Swarovski crystals using rim sets. I've been wanting to use genuine swarovski crystals instead of the acrylic ones Tandy sells, which get scratched up and dull in no time. I used the advice from this thread, and bought extra long 4 prong rim sets from dreamtimecreations.com. I used my sewing awl to stab the leather where the prongs go, and used the 1/4" spot setter on the Tandy hand press. The prongs went all the way through... I'd say it's a success!

Considering how many technique "firsts" I threw in there, I'm happy with how this turned out. As always. I welcome suggestions for improvement!

post-29375-0-57770800-1371074802_thumb.j

post-29375-0-18842000-1371074817_thumb.j

Very nice. I'd say for all the firsts, you knocked this outta the park. Nicely done.

beautiful work

terrific:)

Awesome !!!!

Pardon my ignorance as I know nothing about setting the crystals, but I followed the link to your source of the crystals and saw something there called rose-set crystals which also have a setting tool available for them. Is there a reason you used the 4 prong rather than the rose-set mounting?

Good to see you turning out such fine work again after your house fire

I hope all is well :)

Thanks, Scott!

Replacing my tools has actually been quite therapeutic, and it feels great to be crafting again! I have to keep everything in plastic totes, but hey, it's there!

Pardon my ignorance as I know nothing about setting the crystals, but I followed the link to your source of the crystals and saw something there called rose-set crystals which also have a setting tool available for them. Is there a reason you used the 4 prong rather than the rose-set mounting?

The problem with the rose pins is that the legs are too short. You'll get it through denim and maybe garment leather, but no thicker. To apply the rim sets to leather as thick as 8-9oz, you need the extra long leg. They only come in 4 prong from this website.

Their crystal applicator tool might work for rim sets with the rose pin die. The setter plus the die are $110, which is a bit on the steep side just to test out a tool that "might" work on hardware it isn't specifically intended for. I'm curious now though... Perhaps i can try it when my money trees start to fruit... The darn things are barren every year! ;)