Sjohnsone

Requesting Sewing Machine Know-How

Afternoon/evening folks,

I'm looking at getting a machine in the very near future in order to expedite construction, and I'd like a little advice.

I'm completely in the dark when it comes to machines - though my ex recommended that I get an old singer walking foot or one of the old treadle cobbler's machines.

Just to give you an idea of what I'd like to do in the future:

Leather and cloth combination for wallets

Gloves

Jackets

bags

(hopefully at some point I get brave enough to do shoes)

Ultimately I realize that for these items, hand stitching just seems to not be the preferred technique, as the small aberrations in stitches would likely lend themselves to a rather primitive aesthetic.

Your knowledge and advice is greatly appreciated.

V/R,

Seth

Go to the Leather Sewing Machine forum and read some of the pinned posts, especially one by Wiz. You were on target to get a recommendation for a meduim weight walking foot needle feed machine, but when you mentioned shoes, that is a different story ranging from recommendations of a Singer 110, 153, 31, and any number of post machines. So, go read up and post some questions in that forum, we can help, but it is a good idea to better define your work and match the machine to that.

Art