talon

Press For Various Hardware (Rivets, Snaps, Grommets)

So, I've been doing a bit of research on various presses for rivets and snaps. I've tried to look on here but haven't found much information about the topic. I did find what seems to be a good price on a press at Ohio Travel Bag supply with their European economy model hand press. The problem is I don't know much about hand presses of foot presses for that matter!

So hear is the plan, I've seen others do a similar thing but I want to make mine a bit easier to use.

Basically it will be a "bolt on" kit that works with any 1-2 ton arbor press to allow it to accept either European dies or American dies. The idea is that a user won't have to machine their own arbor press but instead just bolt on this little attachment. I'd like to maybe recover my costs by selling a few of them or maybe even giving the plans away on here once I get the drawings done.

So what do you think? Would you guys be interested in something like that?

Thanks

So, the only problem with a machine that uses constant pressure is that it seems like it would struggle with setting some types of rivets. Do you think it would be feasible to use a pneumatic air chisel to set a copper rivet?

Thanks

I would certainly be interested in a system that could peen rivets

There doesn’t seem to be much equipment available for this type of work

I feel your pain, a decent press is worth its weight in gold.

I would love a heritage press from weaver but at $700 plus shipping to australia would be too much.

I bought an vintage fly press and some dies from the interweb and machined them down to fit and tapped the dies to fit. But I have a lathe. I ended up making some additional dies.

Pic attached

I doubt you will have any joy using a press on solid copper rivets, they need peening or setting with a tool and hammer.

Cheers, Tony

post-44268-0-50140400-1384228811_thumb.j

Edited by Undeadzombiehunter

I'm currently using a rare earth magnet and a 1 ton press for double capped rivets. Works very well. Snaps, not so much. Punching holes works sporadically depending on the size of the punch.

The main issue you will have with bolting anything on a 1 ton press is the throat space. There is not a lot of room there. 2 ton will give you more flexibility.

I use one of these...

http://www.sears.com/palmgren-61101-ap10-1-ton-manual-arbor-press/p-SPM617841814?prdNo=30

The shaft is hollow and can accept various attachments.

But I had not had any luck doing rivets with it.

tk

Under members, look for "SYLVIA", and ask her about the neat deal she has found for setting rivets and snaps.

Has a white chicken as her logo on the site.

Great deal.

God Bless.

Ray