Sign in to follow this  
Gawdzilla

One Handed Stamping.

Last Halloween I had a stroke. Face down in the driveway trying to reach a cell phone that was in the wrong side pocket while the planet went into spin cycle.

This thread is not about that, however, not directly. When I got out of the hospital my left side was weak and I couldn't stamp leather because I couldn't hold onto the stamp. So I sat down and considered my options. I came up with a way to stamp without hammering and in the process found a better way to keep the stamp where I wanted it and make impressions only as deep as I wanted them.

How? I used a C-clamp. I'm sure you can picture how that would work, but if anybody wants pix of how I do it, just let me know.

Last Halloween I had a stroke. Face down in the driveway trying to reach a cell phone that was in the wrong side pocket while the planet went into spin cycle.

This thread is not about that, however, not directly. When I got out of the hospital my left side was weak and I couldn't stamp leather because I couldn't hold onto the stamp. So I sat down and considered my options. I came up with a way to stamp without hammering and in the process found a better way to keep the stamp where I wanted it and make impressions only as deep as I wanted them.

How? I used a C-clamp. I'm sure you can picture how that would work, but if anybody wants pix of how I do it, just let me know.

i think I can understand the frustration of your condition.

I would go a step further: In lieu of the C-clamp use an air cylinder from Graingers for instance, Mounted in a bracket with a multitude of fittings that are available plus home made. A small pancake compressor will supply sufficient air to the cylinder as long as you don't get carried away with the diameter and length of "throw". Amount of pressure can be regulated with a pressure regulator. Small cylinders are usually good up to 120 psi.

If you wish I would be glad to experiment for you in using the cylinder. That is, if you do not need it quickly :)

ferg

i think I can understand the frustration of your condition.

I would go a step further: In lieu of the C-clamp use an air cylinder from Graingers for instance, Mounted in a bracket with a multitude of fittings that are available plus home made. A small pancake compressor will supply sufficient air to the cylinder as long as you don't get carried away with the diameter and length of "throw". Amount of pressure can be regulated with a pressure regulator. Small cylinders are usually good up to 120 psi.

If you wish I would be glad to experiment for you in using the cylinder. That is, if you do not need it quickly :)

ferg

Thanks for the suggestion. I have a few more months before I know if I get full use of my arm back. So I'm still uncertain about what I will need in the long term. I already have the attitude, time will tell if I have the tools. The compressor sounds interesting either way, however. Can it be used to set 5-6 stamps at a time?

Thanks for the suggestion. I have a few more months before I know if I get full use of my arm back. So I'm still uncertain about what I will need in the long term. I already have the attitude, time will tell if I have the tools. The compressor sounds interesting either way, however. Can it be used to set 5-6 stamps at a time?

You would need a large cylinder. Probably at least a four or five inch diameter. Throw is available as a variable.

I have built quite a few of the machines we use in our shop,some are nearly 30 years old and still going strong. I have done a lot of work with the air cylinders.

When I have time I will work on the idea and post my findings on the forum.

ferg

You would need a large cylinder. Probably at least a four or five inch diameter. Throw is available as a variable.

I have built quite a few of the machines we use in our shop,some are nearly 30 years old and still going strong. I have done a lot of work with the air cylinders.

When I have time I will work on the idea and post my findings on the forum.

ferg

Excellent! I'll keep an eye out.

To compound my "fun" I broke a rib coughing last night. Four hours at the VA. Happy blinkin' New Year.

Gawdzilla,

Harbor Freight's 1/2-ton arbor press

Hope you have had a successful recovery. Health & life is amazingly strong yet fragile.

I was at a leather class yesterday (Daddy's Leather & supply in Miami, FL) and "Daddy" (Lui) showed a great way to use an arbor press to tool, install snaps, rivets, eyelets,, punch holes, etc. http://www.harborfreight.com/1-2-half-ton-arbor-press-3551.html

This press is less than $40.

By drilling a hole in the end of the riser (don't know the technical name) on the press to accept the tool shaft(s), tapping a perpendicular hole for a set screw to hold the tool shaft in the moving riser piece, you can then position your leather on a board and crank down the tool - ALL 1-HANDED. In this way you could avoid noise, extra costs & maintenance with air tools, hoses, etc. This would also be extremely portable from shop to porch to vehicle to ...

Hope this gives you and anyone else some options at a low cost with high production / control / portability

Edited by GoldenKnight